• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Ding Repair on New Taurus PT92 SS

txrig1

Default rank <5 posts
New to The Trader!
0   0
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I am new to the forum and wanted to ask your opinion on a cosmetic Repair on this new pistol. I didn't notice the damage when I picked it up. It looks like someone driving in a pin used a small flat head screwdriver and it missed and created at small indention near the pin. It's very shallow, just hate to have a flaw on a new pistol as nice as this one. Suggestions for repairing it or should I just take it to a gunsmith. I know this is being picky. Picture attached. Thanks.
IMG_0090.JPG

It's a Taurus and that is a metal hardness check. JK Go shoot 500 rounds and see if you can get any more marks on it. If it was a high$$ 1911, then I would be pissed if I didn't do it myself. Buff off any sharp edges and enjoy it.

It's a Taurus and that is a metal hardness check. JK Go shoot 500 rounds and see if you can get any more marks on it. If it was a high$$ 1911, then I would be pissed if I didn't do it myself. Buff off any sharp edges and enjoy it.
Thanks, my understanding this Taurus is made in the same factory as Beretta. My brother in law has two of these Taurus pistols, thousands of rounds, reliable.

Any repair will most likely look worse than the ding. Live with it or trade it. Might mean taking a loss, but if it bothers you badly it might be worth it.

Take it to a Cerakote shop and I assume they will bead or media blast it before spraying it. I see you're catching a little grief here for worrying about the scratch and it being a Taurus. But I understand your pain. The first pistol I bought for myself in 92 was a Taurus 99 in satin nickel. They didn't have stainless back then. Not long after I got it I was taking a basket full of laundry out of my old 87 Ford Tempo and my Taurus fell out of my cheap Uncle Mikes IWB rig onto the sidewalk. But mine was dinged up even worse on the side of the slide just below the front sight. It drove me crazy and I sold it to Old South Pawn for the cash to buy a 1911.

I deserve a little grief...Someone mentioned it is just a spike so the pin doesn't come out. Does that make any sense? I will probably just live with it and do a better job of inspecting any future gun purchases.

I deserve a little grief...Someone mentioned it is just a spike so the pin doesn't come out. Does that make any sense? I will probably just live with it and do a better job of inspecting any future gun purchases.
What you described sounds like peening. On a Chinese Type 53 the bayonet setup is very similar to the spring loaded hinge style on an SKS. However on the SKS you can remove one flathead screw and remove the bayonet. On the T53 at least the one I had that screw was tightened into place and then someone had taken a punch and a hammer and hit the edge of the screw where it met the metal creating a ding or dimple. That insured that the bayonet screw wouldn't back out and lose the bayonet.

Back
Top Bottom