• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Dirtbike Maintenance

Get 1 of these...it's like 5 bucks.

31o4S46jjdL.jpg

The measuring device is helpful, AFTER you determine the ratio. Call a Yamaha shop, they can give you the right mix and oil suggestions.

I used to dump my old pre-mix in my truck to use up. Would get some great tailpipe smells when running "bean" oil. But that crap was dirty nasty stuff. I am talking early to mid 1970's...almost 50 years ago. Blendzall or Castrol Castor Bean racing oil.

You want to error on the side of too much oil, too little and you will run HOT and may damage your motor. 32:1 is an ounce of oil to a quart of gas, 4 ounces per gallon. Pretty standard mix.

The measuring device is helpful, AFTER you determine the ratio. Call a Yamaha shop, they can give you the right mix and oil suggestions.

I used to dump my old pre-mix in my truck to use up. Would get some great tailpipe smells when running "bean" oil. But that crap was dirty nasty stuff. I am talking early to mid 1970's...almost 50 years ago. Blendzall or Castrol Castor Bean racing oil.

You want to error on the side of too much oil, to little and you will run HOT and may damage your motor. 32:1 is an ounce of oil to a quart of gas, 4 ounces per gallon. Pretty standard mix.

Yeah that's what im afraid to do is not add enough oil to gas. So If I have a 2 Gallon gas Can I add 8 ounces of oil?

You do know the designation wr indicates a wide ratio transmission, as opposed to a cr, close ratio trans like in the motocross/race bikes. WR is more for general purpose woods/dirt riding or enduros.

It can't hurt to "drop a tooth" on the countershaft sprocket to make it easier to ride in the dirt/casual riding. This was standard practice "back in the day". By drop a tooth I mean if the stock sprocket is a 15 tooth, drop to a 14 tooth. This is a cheap upgrade a sprocket is like $15-20, or used to be.

This is the easy way, don't have to replace the chain, no problems with clearance inside the cover, easy half-hour job. This, replacing stock tires with some more serious knobbies and adding an aftermarket pipe were the 3 most common new rider changes.

There is probably in internet users/riders group for this bike with lots of good info there.

You do know the designation wr indicates a wide ratio transmission, as opposed to a cr, close ratio trans like in the motocross/race bikes. WR is more for general purpose woods/dirt riding or enduros.

It can't hurt to "drop a tooth" on the countershaft sprocket to make it easier to ride in the dirt/casual riding. This was standard practice "back in the day". By drop a tooth I mean if the stock sprocket is a 15 tooth, drop to a 14 tooth.

This is the easy way, don't have to replace the chain, no problems with clearance inside the cover, easy half-hour job. This, replacing stock tires with some more serious knobbies and adding an aftermarket pipe were the 3 most common new rider changes.

There is probably in internet users/riders group for this bike with lots of good info there.

Nice man I appreciate all the info and tips! ill check out the sprocket. but also with the gas to oil ratio if I have a 2 Gallon Gas can how much oil would I have to put in it?

Back
Top Bottom