• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Disappointed in reloading handbook

Printing the data is a good idea. As is keeping a detailed notebook of what you did and how you did it.

The data you see today on a company's site could be gone tomorrow. Doesn't mean there was anything wrong with the previous loads, just they didn't include it in their current listings.

Yup. ^^^

Print any loads you want to try out and keep notes right on the page. That way if you like one you have everything right there in one place.

As for loads from the Internet... just don't... at least not until you have a real feel for reloading.

I'm not talking about published data from real companies, but you will find lots of 'great' loads in forums and such. Some probably are but others are complete BS, and even a good recipe can be typo'd to make it into a grenade.

I just started and was disappointed with the lack of load data in the Lyman manual. I realized it takes lots of investigating, then your own load book trials until you dial something in you like. It's kind of fun digging up the information and comparing different load data from different sources. You get a good idea on where you need to start, then you get to work loads up from there. I've always been told to start with the minimum charge, make 10 rounds, test them and so on.

I have three different manuals and only one of them has 7.5x55 Swiss, and 7.62x54R. two of them have 8mm Mauser, and one of them has none of the calibers I want to reload. Luckily the one I actually bought retail is the one with all three, I'd be totally pissed if it where the other way around. Still not enamored with the limited powder selection on the one that has the Swiss data.

I have three different manuals and only one of them has 7.5x55 Swiss, and 7.62x54R. two of them have 8mm Mauser, and one of them has none of the calibers I want to reload. Luckily the one I actually bought retail is the one with all three, I'd be totally pissed if it where the other way around. Still not enamored with the limited powder selection on the one that has the Swiss data.
Not sure that Lyman's 50th would be any good to you. It does have data for 8mm Mauser and 7.62x54R, but not a lot. And nothing on 7.5x55 Swiss.

Alot has t do with tuning. I do some reloading for 300 blackout, 30.06, 308, 303 and have had similar issues with finding data. You could try lowest charge for similar weight bullets while ensuring the bullets length is comparable and then chronological a few rounds to see where you are at. Its not an exact science, but works.

I have had several books contradict each other by 10% in powder weight as well. Start slow, tune to your needs.

I don't have a current lyman, mines a couple three years old.
it has a lot of lead loading data, not many if any manual have a lot of plated loads because none of the powder manufactures really sale plated projectiles.
you will find that Speer manual covers mostly Speer projectiles, Hornady manual covers mostly Hornady projectiles , so on and so forth.
I always suggest that IF getting one manual then go with t he Lee manual.
it has to me the broadest collection of different powders/ projectile types as Lee doesn' t make powder/primers or projectiles.
the manufactures web sites are very easy to use and fairly broad in info, I use them quite a bit when researching new loads.
course I have enough older tested loads that I seldom need more info on the calibers that I shoot.

Back
Top Bottom