• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Disappointed in reloading handbook

Some manufacturers list data on their websites, but sometimes I haven't been able to find things on their sites either. In my experience so far, if I can't find something specific, I've had good luck emailing the manufacturer and tell them what I need info on and they will send load data for it. When I started reloading with Berger Bullets, I couldn't find a whole lot that really gave me what I needed, so I emailed them, and a lil while later, I had an email with load data for COAL and starting loads and max loads with case pressures with tons of different powders.

I did this with Barnes for a sort of obscure caliber, and they got right back to me. Two thumbs up.

OK, this is more like it. I went onto ebay and found The Complete Reloading Manual for the 9mm Luger. It's essentially a compilation of load data from various bullet and powder manufacturer websites, all bound together in one book. The one that I got has recipes for 68 various 9mm bullet designs and 42 different powders. Of course, I will definitely cross reference any of these recipes with other sources before actually using them. But, even though this book is only 53 pages (and some of that is ads), it gives me much more load data than the Lyman 50th.

View attachment 1149241

This is a good series of manuals.

I reload 6.8 spcII and .223 and there is very limited reload data in one particular location on 6.8. I have magazine page copies, online data and a couple of different data sources from here and there. It seems that most data encyclopedias are not quite up to snuff on all powders and projectiles. I have a slew of papers, a couple of different manuals and magazines themselves for data. I have a Hornady manual and it is mostly comprised of just Hornady projectiles. So don't get upset that one manual doesn't have it all. Just look at every source you come across and take copies and collect magazines with data in them.
Just remember there are a lot of good projectiles out there and certain manuals are going to bead in on only one to three projectiles. There are four or five really good projectile manufacturers I use and a ton of different powders to experiment with so be patient and look where ever you can for load data and projectile weight and brand.
I went down and looked and I have a Lyman and Hornady reload manual, a magazine that had reloading data in it for that one month issue, a Lee insert from my Lee kit I bought and 7 pages of an unbelievable amount of projectile and powder combinations I printed up off the internet. It took me a couple of months to comprise all my data but I have a pretty good handle on it now.
Moral of the story is one manual is not going to be the see all be all when it comes to reloading data. Most of the really good data is going to come from just tripping over it.
My go to load for my 6.8 is Benchmark Power and Sierra, Barnes and Hornady A-Max or V-max projectiles. However, my gun won't shoot shelf Hornady ammo worth a damn. 2 to 3 inch groups. Then with A-Max or V-max projectiles and my powder work up I can get 1/2 inch groups out their projectiles at faster speeds. Crazy I know!:confused:

Loading data for newer calibers, can be obtained as many others have stated. As these newer guns, caliber, and different bullet point shapes. As the shapes are different the seating depths are certainly going to be somewhat longer, or shorter.

Loading manuals take time to print, test loads, and to verify, verify, and re-verify, then the manuals are helped being paid for by gun powder manufacturers, and there is where the time lapse of manuals being available. Our preference is hardback bound manuals, ease of library shelving and usually does not get tattered and torn.

Yes, we have some old manuals, that have loads none of the new manuals have, and also some great load data of little used or not available calibers today.

Build your load data Library, it will be a good guide for years to come.
Loading your own, is also being responsible for your own reloading actions, loads, and paying attention, and not loading with distractions, allow kids to go to bed and load after they have gone asleep, no radio blaring, no TV, all attention except on what the job at hand is will demand your total attention for better safety, and maintain the routine until your job is done. When loading no phone calls, no texting either...

After all you are working with explosives...

SAFETY< SAFETY< SAFETY, is your Job # 1...

I would argue pistol is the better starter. Little to no case trimming. And highly unlikely to get a case stuck.

Ditto, and they are straight wall cases, no shoulder issues, and the holes are bigger making everything easier to see and do. Bullet choice, seating depth is not nearly so critical.

Back
Top Bottom