• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Display your rights! Carry open! .............or maybe not.

Actually, I am making a plea for logic and situational awareness/tactics among the general gun crowd but I have determined that there are more commando's than I anticipated. I really wish someone could give me ONE (read: 1) reason why open carry is such a great idea. Heck, maybe I will change my stance and buy a new OWB holster.

I specifically answered your four points. Telling me "nuh-uh" is not exactly a compelling refutation. Please explain why my four answers are not "logical".

Of course you should be able to. Sometimes discretion is the better part of valor though. There's no law in most places against busting slack". Does it make you look at someones boxer covered ass as an exercise in freedom or an obscenity that you would prefer your wife and kids not be forced to tolerate though? Having a right does not always make exercising that right smart.

Actually, haven't several laws been passed about this very thing?

Anyway, you're right that having a right doesnt mean you necessarily must exercise it. That's why no one here is attacking CC or trying to convince anyone to OC if they don't want to.

I think it's safe to exclude thugs and criminals that carry in their pants pockets. I am looking for stories about responsible concealed carriers getting negative attention.

I don't see why that's even necessary, as no one is arguing against concealed carry.

Since you are, however, arguing against open carry and have been thus far unable to bring anything other than your personal opinion to the table to back your assertions up, is it too much to ask for something with a little more meat to it?

I don't see why that's even necessary, as no one is arguing against concealed carry.

Since you are, however, arguing against open carry and have been thus far unable to bring anything other than your personal opinion to the table to back your assertions up, is it too much to ask for something with a little more meat to it?

Forget my stance for a minute. How many professional trainers, instructors, law enforcement agencies, or other skilled professionals in the firearms industry do you know that suggest that civilian open carry is wise? I have gathered from these OC/CC threads that the few of you (4 or 5) who chimed in defense of OC apparently support it more in favor of the political statement it provides. I do understand that it is possible to teach a man wisdom but only he can choose to apply it.

We have both continually made and supported our points and we will have to agree to disagree. No harm no foul Dunkel. I have enjoyed the enthusiastic debate.

Forget my stance for a minute. How many professional trainers, instructors, law enforcement agencies, or other skilled professionals in the firearms industry do you know that suggest that civilian open carry is wise? I have gathered from these OC/CC threads that the few of you (4 or 5) who chimed in defense of OC apparently support it more in favor of the political statement it provides. I do understand that it is possible to teach a man wisdom but only he can choose to apply it.

Where in the world did you get the idea that I "support it more in favor of the political statement it provides"? Have you read anything I've posted here? I've specifically said over and over that I don't carry to make a point. I carry a gun for self defense. I carry openly for the various reasons I've repeatedly stated.

Yes, some people do and I thank them for the victories they've won for us. But that's not why I carry.

As for the "experts", I really don't know how many suggest OC. Do you have some evidence that suggests they overwhelmingly support CC exclusively or something? I imagine that you won't find too many police departments that openly endorse it, but I wouldn't expect them to. As for firearms trainers, I really don't know. Again, I would imagine they might not endorse it for liability reasons...they tell their students it's ok or encourage it...something bad happens to the student...they get sued because "my instructor told me to".

We have both continually made and supported our points and we will have to agree to disagree. No harm no foul Dunkel. I have enjoyed the enthusiastic debate.

No, you're not getting off that easy. You first demanded that I answer your four points and I did. Then you said my four responses were not logical. Please explain that.

Also...you haven't really provided anything to support your points other than personal opinion. I've provided several news stories that back up my arguments. Let's not pretend this has been a draw.

Last edited:
I think I might have mentoned this something about OCing coming back to bite you in the a$$ lastnight in another thread. Hmmm........

I think I might have mentoned this something about OCing coming back to bite you in the a$$ lastnight in another thread. Hmmm........

Actually, the fact that that police officer didn't know the law and they're trying to make an example out of the OCer might just come back to bite THEM in the ass.

No one ever said it was completely risk free...especially in a place like Philadelphia. But let's wait to see what the long term outcome is before we decide this is really a reason for us not to OC in Georgia. But as we showed with the Costco story, even CC is not completely risk-free, either, is it? Bend over the wrong way, your gun shows...someone sees it and calls in MWAG...

Where in the world did you get the idea that I "support it more in favor of the political statement it provides"? Have you read anything I've posted here? I've specifically said over and over that I don't carry to make a point. I carry a gun for self defense. I carry openly for the various reasons I've repeatedly stated.
Interesting. I've seen you make 3 references to "Because I can". That, my friend, is a political statement. Love it or leave it.

As for the "experts", I really don't know who many suggest OC. Do you have some evidence that suggests they overwhelmingly support CC exclusively or something?.
Yes, but considering your Google efficiency, it shouldn't take you long to research.

No, you're not getting off that easy. You first demanded that I answer your four points and I did. Then you said my four responses were not logical. Please explain that.
I am amazed that you even expect a response to your 4 elusive answers. Those aren't answers worthy of the time to respond.

Also...you haven't really provided anything to support your points other than personal opinion. I've provided several news stories that back up my arguments. Let's not pretend this has been a draw.
What gave you the impression that I insinuated a draw. I simply said I enjoyed the spirited debate. There will be no victory or defeat here because you are insistent upon making a political statement....................because you can.

Actually, the fact that that police officer didn't know the law and they're trying to make an example out of the OCer might just come back to bite THEM in the ass.

No one ever said it was completely risk free...especially in a place like Philadelphia. But let's wait to see what the long term outcome is before we decide this is really a reason for us not to OC in Georgia. But as we showed with the Costco story, even CC is not completely risk-free, either, is it? Bend over the wrong way, your gun shows...someone sees it and calls in MWAG...

Yes, you have a point. Its not completely risk-free. However, the likelihood is much much lower.

Back
Top Bottom