• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

DIY Bore Cleaners

Clarke123

Default rank <4500 posts
Love Them UGA Dogs!
196   0
Reaction score
WAS: Cumming, GA NOW: Punta Gorda, Florida
This is a repeat of information posted a few years back ...

Cleaning, Lucubration and Preserving the bore / finish of a firearm is an important part of firearm function and reliability, as well as the life of the firearm.

As most of you have probably noticed, there are tons of new (expensive) products out there vying for your hard earned dollar. Here's some solutions that are tried and proven ... that are also affordable:

Lead and stubborn fouling of bores:
Scrubbing pads: Chore Boy (Only 100% Copper Version) ... which works GREAT on lead deposits.
Also, the plastic scrub pads (only those rated for TEFLON Pans!) do a good job for me.

Take a little bit and place it on the end of a cleaning rod, maybe add a little Ed's Red / Kroll and the job is quickly done!

See a host of home-made CLP's here (Just be careful with the other contents of this site!):

http://www.frfrogspad.com/homemade.htm

Given the cost of most of my firearms and barrels I use quality cleaning liquids. Boretech for one. still use Hoppe's for some pistol applications

the lewis lead remover has worked for me for over 35 years so I see no reason to change.

the same for rust protection. Eezox and the WD40 corrosion protection spray

lube is a totally different deal for me.. ( go figure). Lubriplate SFL-0 grease and an oil I make up myself from some very high dollar racing oil. both of these work like a charm in my bullseye pistols or hunting rifles.

Astrosol.jpg
Not a DIY but about the best I've ever used. Paying $20 per bottle of vintage stuff by the way....if you find it, send it to me. I'll be happy to pay $20 per 2 oz. bottle plus shipping.

Manufactured by a Charles T. Crabtree of Tempe, AZ, sometime after 1964. Contains Methyl Chloroform and other hazardous ingredients.

Back
Top Bottom