• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

DIY Bore Cleaners

Are you sure about the Kroil?

I have used brake cleaner on semi auto frames for cleaning, and Kroil on bores as well as stuck rusted bolts on machines. They seem to be very different.

Kroil is absolutely the best. It will "float" any fouling out of the barrel.

The brake cleaner is good for powder fouling, and bullet gunk and plastic residue (shotguns). Think about about -what is brake residue and fired powder?

I use the Kroil if I have it, and brake cleaner when I don't. IMO they do the same thing by different methods, and are reasonably cheap. I guess my post is you don't need some $8 a bottle fairy dust to clean a gun.

Kroll is excellent but kinda expensive compared to Marvel Mystery Oil ... which I use in a 50/50 mixture with Hoppe's #9.

https://www.walmart.com/reviews/product/16767858

Also, Acetone is a sure cure for plastic fouling of shotgun barrels (just be careful of the fumes ... and finish on your furniture)! Is it "safe"? I hope so as it is the primary ingredient in nail polish remover (usually mixed with lanolin)!

Since I discovered Montana Extreme products its all I purchase anymore but when I am at the range and my groups start to go south, I use Windex.
Its great for removing copper with out lubing up the bore.

Back
Top Bottom