• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

DIY deer camp/emergency heater

I barely survived the ordeal to 6:57. I like the altoid tin one I'll have to try it. I made the coffee can one but I'm a "still" hunter so its kinda big too carry. You think cotton balls will work as filler?

If you use any regular can (like soup or vegetable normal size) and stuff it with insulation, when it get wet it packs together. Then put it on a heat safe surface and light it, it works just fine. I usually put 1/4" mesh over the insulation over the insulation to hold it in. Here is a small altiods can heater I have in my truck. It holds about 2oz of alcohol and burns for about 30 minutes

What kind of lifespan do you get out of the insulation? Does it have to be replaced often?

Last edited:
Cotton will burn when the alcohol runs out like the toilet paper did in the video. The insulation doesn't burn and I have never had to change it. I would say its "permanent". All of the stoves and heaters I make have the insulation in them and I have never had to change it on any of them, even the old ones.
i hope that answers ur Q's

- - - Updated - - -

If u use a small heater u should carry extra alcohol to refill it when it runs out

If you use any regular can (like soup or vegetable normal size) and stuff it with insulation, when it get wet it packs together. Then put it on a heat safe surface and light it, it works just fine. I usually put 1/4" mesh over the insulation over the insulation to hold it in. Here is a small altiods can heater I have in my truck. It holds about 2oz of alcohol and burns for about 30 minutes

That is an awesome innovative idea sir. Thank you for sharing. I will be making a few of these to go into the kits!

This one is a tuna fish can filled with insulation and using the fan cover from an old computer power supply to hold the insulation in place. It's sitting on a wood gasifier (up side down) I made just for the purpose of a non flammable surface so I could light it and take the pic. It runs for about 15 minutes on 1 once of 70% rubbing alcohol. 90% would be better. If you use denatured alcohol from the paint dept at the hardware store burns much hotter but you really have a hard time seeing the blue flame

btw, the flame has almost gone out and is at nearly the end of its burn cycle

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 19
Last edited:
Here it is in "full burn", I'm thinkin of a smaller diameter can with a metal cone shaped chimney to funnel the heat and contain the fire so maybe the cone will radiate heat. I'll come up with a proto type and post a pic

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    26.8 KB · Views: 12
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    30.1 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom