• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

DIY Elk Hunters

Zforzachariah14

Default rank <400 posts
Survivalist
5   0
Reaction score
Couple buddies and myself are looking into going to Idaho or some state to do a DIY Elk hunt. For those that have hunted elk or familiar with doing these hunts, what would you say is the most overlooked or important gear for us to have? I know I need a backpack, comfortable boots, etc but what do you like using the most or feel most beneficial?

The best 'gear' from what I understand is having YOURSELF IN SHAPE. (and good glass)
It's getting harder and harder to get decent tags. Research very very early before going. As in YEARS. All states are different but many will require priority points from previous years for any realistic shot, especially for out of staters.

Water bottles. You will dehydrate in the higher elevations. Don`t drink from a branch(like I do in Ga) unless you follow it uphill until you see it coming out of the ground. Too easy to get guardia, or "beaver fever". Fire-starting stuff. Glad I had it once in Wyoming.

Check out Rokslide forums, and Archery talk. Idaho is tough. My bro and I are planning a mule deer hunt out there. Do your research. Everything I read says the further from the rd you are the better. Put your research in and it will pay off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think AZ is OTC archery. It may be worth looking into. Not as much in the way of altitude change. Altitude is what kicks you azz.

I hunted New Mexico for elk. I thought I was ready after training all summer. That altitude is a killer. Good glass, lots of water capacity, and high quality gear. You cant depend solely on that gps so a compass and area topo maps I would definitely bring.
There were plenty of public opportunities, if you can draw a tag.

Good Binoculars w/harness and a spotting scope w/tripod. Saves me from seeing so many “tree-elk”! Can’t hunt what you can’t spot! My 2 cents.

8dddb54c6e46a49d16bbc05901d5aa82.jpg

These are thought highly of in the backcountry community. Really cuts down on the amt of water u have to bring.

Back
Top Bottom