• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

DIY Hydrographic dipping - anyone try it?

LethalEdge...it's really addictive! I've been doing it for a few years now, and love it. I've made a few Hydrodipping videos with tips and tricks on my YouTube channel. Here's a link to a playlist that has those videos if you're interested, it might help you out.

20190921_150031.jpg

LethalEdge...it's really addictive! I've been doing it for a few years now, and love it. I've made a few Hydrodipping videos with tips and tricks on my YouTube channel. Here's a link to a playlist that has those videos if you're interested, it might help you out.

View attachment 4066400
that looks great. I will definitely check out your videos as I am toying with the idea of improving my process. Making a dip tank and using a HVLP gravity feed air spray gun versus the aerosol can approach I am using now. Thanks!

that looks great. I will definitely check out your videos as I am toying with the idea of improving my process. Making a dip tank and using a HVLP gravity feed air spray gun versus the aerosol can approach I am using now. Thanks!

Thanks!

No problem...those videos will probably help you out then. They show my tanks and how I set them up...the smaller one that I'm using now "coleman cooler" works perfect, it's inexpensive, and there's no major fabrication needed to set it up.

Good luck with it...if you have any questions on anything, just let me know.

See ya,

JuJu

20180715_225824.jpg

Thanks!

No problem...those videos will probably help you out then. They show my tanks and how I set them up...the smaller one that I'm using now "coleman cooler" works perfect, it's inexpensive, and there's no major fabrication needed to set it up.

Good luck with it...if you have any questions on anything, just let me know.

See ya,

JuJu

View attachment 4066547
damn, you’ve got the process down. The rolling of a tumbler took a bit of trial and error, but I was pleased with the final result.

Attachments

• 532ED831-6655-443A-B068-49A9CCE8E9A1.jpeg
    532ED831-6655-443A-B068-49A9CCE8E9A1.jpeg
    173.9 KB · Views: 8
How’s the durability of this?

If you do it right, it will have the same durability as the finish on your car, since it should be clear coated with automotive 2-part clear.

Here's a video that shows a comparison of hydrodip vs. cerakote on a pistol.

If you're planning on dragging your weapon across the concrete or gouging it with a flat head screwdriver, then no, it's not going to hold up...but cerakote won't hold up to those kind of conditions either. So from my experience, if applied correctly, hydrographics should hold up about as well as cerakote. Alot of people may disagree, but like I said...if applied correctly. :)

If you do it right, it will have the same durability as the finish on your car, since it should be clear coated with automotive 2-part clear.

Here's a video that shows a comparison of hydrodip vs. cerakote on a pistol.

If you're planning on dragging your weapon across the concrete or gouging it with a flat head screwdriver, then no, it's not going to hold up...but cerakote won't hold up to those kind of conditions either. So from my experience, if applied correctly, hydrographics should hold up about as well as cerakote. Alot of people may disagree, but like I said...if applied correctly. :)
Thank you!!

damn, you’ve got the process down. The rolling of a tumbler took a bit of trial and error, but I was pleased with the final result.
Thanks, and yeah...after you do a few of them, you'll have it down. Yours looks good!

I'm not sure what activator you are using, but I've tried a few, and these are the ones that I've had the best results with...

Mainly the Superbrew...best activator out there in my opinion, and best results from it. The left and middle are the same, just different quantity container...but it's a mild activator and usually takes 2 passes over the film.

On the right is Ozark Hydrographics, which is a strong activator and it will only require 1 quick pass. It's good for some stubborn films that require alot of activation, but I've had mixed results with it and some films just don't like it.

From what I've learned in doing it, the most important thing is getting the right amount of activator on the film. Everything else is just technique, but if the activator isn't right...all kinds of crazy stuff happens, and usually it isn't good! :)

20220308_221709.jpg

Back
Top Bottom