• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

DIY Hydrographic dipping - anyone try it?

juju151 juju151 i need to get some of that press and seal plastic!!!! :D
Yeah...it comes in handy! And those receiver plugs too...but a trip to Home Depot will probably provide everything you need. You can find all kinds of rubber things there to use as plugs, rubber hose for the barrel/buffer tube holes, etc.

20180715_224339.jpg

From what I've learned in doing it, the most important thing is getting the right amount of activator on the film. Everything else is just technique, but if the activator isn't right...all kinds of crazy stuff happens, and usually it isn't good! :)
Agreed. I have learned that. I had a perfect dip, go to do another and thought I did the exact same thing, and the film completely slid off the part.

I am getting all my stuff from these folks.
1646797070777.png
And I think is approach is a problem, tough to have a controlled and uniform spray.

Agreed. I have learned that. I had a perfect dip, go to do another and thought I did the exact same thing, and the film completely slid off the part.

I am getting all my stuff from these folks.
View attachment 4066684And I think is approach is a problem, tough to have a controlled and uniform spray.
Yep...the aerosol cans make it difficult. Spray gun gives more consistent results once you get it dialed in. Now I'm just using the $50 Husky Home Depot spray gun and a pancake compressor and it works just as good as my previous expensive spray gun and big standup compressor.

There's a forum that helped me out alot when I got started, lots of info and questions answered on there...

And remember...when you become an addict, the first thing you have to do is admit that you've got a problem. Welcome to the drug my friend...There's no going back now! :)

20180613_000709.jpg

LethalEdge, I think we are partially neighbors. If you have any questions on this stuff, I’ll be happy to answer/help your new addiction....lol.
We are the largest hydrographic company in the US and are located here in Georgia. We dip robotically for companies like Honda, John Deere, Yamaha, GM, Volvo.....and of course guns/military. So if you have any questions I’ll try to help.

Everything you look at will make you wonder, "Hmmm...what pattern would look good on that?" And you'll be buying stuff that you normally wouldn't, just because you know it'll look cool hydrodipped!

I'm telling ya...it's a gateway drug!

You'll end up like me, learning to make Kydex holsters, just to give you something else to hydrodip!

Then, you'll get a laser engraver...so you can laser engrave the Kydex holsters that you've hydrodipped!!!

It never ends man...it's a trap, don't do it!!!!!! LoL

20220308_233124.jpg

Everything you look at will make you wonder, "Hmmm...what pattern would look good on that?" And you'll be buying stuff that you normally wouldn't, just because you know it'll look cool hydrodipped!

I'm telling ya...it's a gateway drug!

You'll end up like me, learning to make Kydex holsters, just to give you something else to hydrodip!

Then, you'll get a laser engraver...so you can laser engrave the Kydex holsters that you've hydrodipped!!!

It never ends man...it's a trap, don't do it!!!!!! LoL

View attachment 4066771
The kydex holster making didn’t spark any desires, but the laser engraver sure did. Tell me, what do I need to get?

LethalEdge, I think we are partially neighbors. If you have any questions on this stuff, I’ll be happy to answer/help your new addiction....lol.
We are the largest hydrographic company in the US and are located here in Georgia. We dip robotically for companies like Honda, John Deere, Yamaha, GM, Volvo.....and of course guns/military. So if you have any questions I’ll try to help.
Thank you Billybob270 Billybob270

Okay juju151 juju151 Billybob270 Billybob270 , what happened?
I was pleased with the vibrant colors of my dip on the P80 grip (left picture). Rinsed well and dried overnight. I then clear coated it (2-part clear coat), and the right picture is the result. I am guessing that the film didn’t actually get into the textured grip and was more of a thin layer over the peaks. Then clear coat then broke them? The smooth sections of the grip remained unchanged. Very disappointing.

Attachments

• 92646DE5-E825-4455-99B6-950829029C0D.jpeg
    92646DE5-E825-4455-99B6-950829029C0D.jpeg
    206.2 KB · Views: 18
  • 550C5DED-9733-4AC4-8FCD-9C4AFEE0A905.jpeg
    550C5DED-9733-4AC4-8FCD-9C4AFEE0A905.jpeg
    233.5 KB · Views: 18
Okay juju151 juju151 Billybob270 Billybob270 , what happened?
I was pleased with the vibrant colors of my dip on the P80 grip (left picture). Rinsed well and dried overnight. I then clear coated it (2-part clear coat), and the right picture is the result. I am guessing that the film didn’t actually get into the textured grip and was more of a thin layer over the peaks. Then clear coat then broke them? The smooth sections of the grip remained unchanged. Very disappointing.

Yes, that's what it looks like to me. Any air trapped in the recesses will prevent the film from sticking, and then it will break/peel/flake off. Some things are really hard to do without trapping air, and sometimes you'll have to work around that area or do a "touch up" job on it with a really small paint brush...preferrably before the clear coat, but it can be done after the clear if you have to.

Just curious...did you roll that? It doesn't look like you dipped it half and half.

Yes, that's what it looks like to me. Any air trapped in the recesses will prevent the film from sticking, and then it will break/peel/flake off. Some things are really hard to do without trapping air, and sometimes you'll have to work around that area or do a "touch up" job on it with a really small paint brush...preferrably before the clear coat, but it can be done after the clear if you have to.

Just curious...did you roll that? It doesn't look like you dipped it half and half.
no, I dipped it half and half. I have had mixed results with the rolling. The other side. It also lost some of the details when clear coated.

Attachments

• DD0CBE22-D98E-4AEB-ABB3-E30F3E35F76B.jpeg
    DD0CBE22-D98E-4AEB-ABB3-E30F3E35F76B.jpeg
    183.2 KB · Views: 15
Back
Top Bottom