do all police LIE ?

do all police LIE ?

• YES

Votes: 90 67.2%
  • NO

Votes: 44 32.8%

• Total voters
all police lie because they are representatives of the government

do they all personally lie? no, alot of them just repeat stuff they heard, for instance i got a ticket and the officer said it was for "my safety"

now he could have genuinely believed that, which just makes him ignorant. but ya if a cop asks anything from me i say "no" if they ask again i will say "hell no" with an emphasis on the hell and the no part

Ummm, how do you think stings and undercover work are carried out? Lies and more lies. The FBI agent etc. pretending to be a 13 year old girl is LYING! The DEA agent working undercover as a dealer is LYING! The only unfair fight is the one you lose! And folks this is a war believe it or not!

Yes I am an LEO. 30+ years now. I rarely read these threads as I am discouraged by the Law Abiding Citizens that bash law enforcement so much.

I will leave you with this thought from one of our last truly great presidents... “It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat.”
― Theodore Roosevelt

Is planned deception a sin?

How about the FBI selling fake explosives to would be terrorists? Should the agents apologize to the would be killers for lying?

I am a cop. Have I lied to suspects as a tactic to gain evidence from them. Yes. I'm talking about making them believe I know something that I really don't that makes them feel they can't successfully lie to me. When I wore a uniform and made traffic stops and dealt with joe citizen on a daily basis did I lie? No. Do I lie off duty? No. Do I lie to cover up anything I've done? No. Will I lie for another cop? No. No one wants dishonest cops busted more than I or the cops I call friend and brother. Unlike many cops it doesn't bother me for good citizens to be armed. I have supported their rite to do so over and over. I have know of a few times when good citizens came to the aid of a lone officer struggling with a suspect. Good citizens and cops should be on the same side, or so I thought. Have I ever briefly inconvenienced a good citizen because of an unusual and tense situation combined with the fact I didn't know if he was a good citizen or a bad one? Yes. As soon as I could determine they were a good one the went on their way with an explanation, apology, and my respect. One thing that stands out in many comments in this thread to me is that cops should never lie to a suspect because that is stooping to their level. This tells me those people, while having ideals to be admired, have no idea of reality. They have never dealt with a calm, smooth talking suspect that can woo a beast but only hours before murdered or raped someone. They have never stopped to check in what appears to be a stranded motorist only to have a gun stuck in their face and have to fight for their life. I have a feeling that the people who shout the loudest about being inconvenienced by cops will be the first to call them because their neighbors are playing loud music. I have work hard and honestly for 22 years as a cop. I have met many fine people, I have made many friends, I have arrested many criminals who no doubt consider me their enemy. I have used restraint at times of arrest knowing the arrestee showed no such mercy to their victim. I have privately wept for the brutalized victims I have seen, many of them women and children. I have to use caution with anyone until I am satisfied the are a good guy because the boogeyman will disguise himself as an angel, but in the end I always considered good citizens to be on my team. Either this forum has more than its share of bad guys and radicals or I have been wrong all of these years. I am a good, hard working, underpaid (but the money ain't why I do it) and honest cop and I know many more just like me. I am offended to be counted as a crooked cop because of a few.

SWO596 - thanks for your years of service and very balanced comments.

I think it's becoming much, much harder for you to do your job. YouTube - sort of a cesspit of info - tells people how to be disrepsectful of police officers while also staying wihtin the boundaries of the law. On the other hand, more and more videos are being added each month of police officers who abuse their position and abuse the general public, and the news outlets pick up on it. When was the last time you saw the media do a positive story on a police officer? They're rare, but stories of bad cops abound. You are being backed into a corner and the officers I interact with occasionally have expressed frustration about how they are perceived by the public. They feel like a target, instead of the criminal on the street.

One question to ask is how strong is your local department's community outreach program? Getting to know your local community is the only way around this. I used to go to festivals/fairs, etc. and see police booths set up with officers interacting with families and children, and that's all but stopped. Also, a lot of departments stopped working with civilian volunteers where I came from in FL, I guess due to insurance risk or some other nonsense. That was a GREAT connection with the public. I'd volunteer to help out.

Yes cops lie. If they didn't then a lot of bad people would roam free who are currently locked away. Will they lie to you? Sure, if they feel they should in order to maximize their chances of taking a criminal off the streets. So, what does that mean for the law-abiding citizen? Understand your rights and the lies won't really matter. At most you'll be modestly inconvenienced while they discover they don't have probable cause for a search. There is a very good chance that you or someone you know was not a victim of a crime because of a lie told by a cop sometime in your lifetime. Oh, and lying to you doesn't violate any of your rights. If the lies sometime result in the ignorant volunteering to forgo their rights then I blame them for their ignorance, not the officer for the lie. Especially not if it's a criminal and his or her ignorance results in crimes being discovered and prosecuted.

Back
Top Bottom