• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Do Blowback Guns Recoil More?

GAgunLAWbooklet

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
63   0
Reaction score
In another thread about the stupidest things the staff members at a gun store have said to their customers,
I recounted how I was told by a gun store clerk that the S&W Shield EZ 380 was going to have more felt recoil than the 9mm version of the same gun,
even with both guns being basically being the same size and shape and weight, due to the .380 round having more gunpowder in the case and a higher velocity (but lighter) bullet.

Another ODT member added that it could be true, if you compare a .380 with a direct blowback system to a 9mm that uses the common delayed recoil or moving-barrel system that the Model 1911 made popular.

I want to explore this more. Why would one system have less recoil than the other? Direct blowback guns have to have heavier slides (or, for long guns, heavier bolts) compared to those with other kinds of energy-absorbing action mechanisms, but GIVEN THE EXACT SAME OVERALL WEIGHT of a pistol, and for guns of the SAME LENGTH (so the distance of travel of the slide of the semi-auto pistol is the same), how can a gun's recoil be increased if you switch the caliber to .380 from 9x19mm and give it a direct blowback system (with the standard heavy recoil spring and massive slide)?

Reminder: We all know that lighter guns will recoil more than heavy guns given the same cartridge, so we don't need to relate a bunch of anecdotes about how you fired a pocket size .380 that weighed 11 ounces and it shoved your hand with more force then when you shoot your 9 mm that weighs 25 ounces.

And since recoil control and muzzle rise is related to a gun's ergonomics-- how it fits your hand -- it's not helpful to observe that you had a harder time hanging on to that little Colt Mustang .380 compared to shooting a full-size 1911 in .45acp. The only fair comparison is between guns that are the same size the same shape and the same weight.

It would be solely Firearms specific due to location of the weight and how it’s distributed around the gun. Recoil it’s just a felt moment…Which is just a force vector times a distance in a rotational manner… that’s why the new big thing with pistols is in line versus overbore

To answer your basic question, No.
To debate your more complex question, Maybe.
Under certain circumstances. Depending
on brand, ammo, type of bracing available,
and single hand or both gripping style.
I love the smell of blow back discharge in the morning.
Tastes like................Victory.

In another thread about the stupidest things the staff members at a gun store have said to their customers,
I recounted how I was told by a gun store clerk that the S&W Shield EZ 380 was going to have more felt recoil than the 9mm version of the same gun,
even with both guns being basically being the same size and shape and weight, due to the .380 round having more gunpowder in the case and a higher velocity (but lighter) bullet.

Another ODT member added that it could be true, if you compare a .380 with a direct blowback system to a 9mm that uses the common delayed recoil or moving-barrel system that the Model 1911 made popular.

I want to explore this more. Why would one system have less recoil than the other? Direct blowback guns have to have heavier slides (or, for long guns, heavier bolts) compared to those with other kinds of energy-absorbing action mechanisms, but GIVEN THE EXACT SAME OVERALL WEIGHT of a pistol, and for guns of the SAME LENGTH (so the distance of travel of the slide of the semi-auto pistol is the same), how can a gun's recoil be increased if you switch the caliber to .380 from 9x19mm and give it a direct blowback system (with the standard heavy recoil spring and massive slide)?
We have had this same discussion for years about shotguns - gas vs. recoil operated ,

First the problem is that it is hard to find two guns to compare, because stock fit, area of the butt, length, weight, all factor into actual and perceived recoil.

The consensus is that all things being equal (which they seldom are) that a gas gun stretches out the moment of recoil, so the perception is that it is softer shooting. Scientifically, all things being equal, the guns will have the same amount of energy as recoil, gas guns just spread it out over a slightly longer period of time.

Same hold true for handguns. That said, I find that my Px4s shoot significantly softer than Colt type actions, but IMO it's because the rotating barrel again delays the recoil impulse. It's possible that the rotation movement absorbs some energy, but I'm not sure it is significant.

The Browning A500 came in a gas and recoil version (only gun that I know that is the case) and it would be interesting to see some rigorous testing to see what is the truth.

to me .380 just feels snappy anyway. not in the same way .40 cal feels snappy (9mm and .45 dont bother me when i shoot them). the 9x18 makarov is another one that feels weird. i can shoot 50-100 rounds out of a mak and the next day i can feel it in my palm.

If I put some thought into it a delayed system should be less felt recoil, given everything else is identical. That said, you can't have identical guns with these 2 systems. Direct blowback pistols are either chambered in smaller/lighter rounds like 22, 32acp or 380 or have to be beefed up like high points to be chambered in high pressure pistol rounds. So you offset recoil with weight. Dumb gunshop talking point at best

Back
Top Bottom