• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Do felons lose the right to self defense.

Since we don't have near enough information, I'll simply address the thread title. Obviously today the answer is "yes". I'm also in the camp of "if you're too dangerous to own a gun, you shouldn't be roaming freely amongst society".
I'm not sure why allowing possession at their residence would be controversial.

In response to your title queation: No, what felons lose is the right to legally posses a weapon that when used is likely to cause death or great bodily harm because they have proven themselves in a court of law to be a menace to society and a threat to the law-abiding citizen. IF the convicted felon is able to re-enter society and be a positive contributing member, then there is already a process for restoration of their rights.

Personally I believe that if the State doesn't feel safe enough to give you back all your Constitutional rights it shouldn't feel safe enough to let you out of prison.
What are you willing to apply that theory too? We should keep DUI offenders locked up instead of a suspended/revoked driver's license?

Personally I believe that if the State doesn't feel safe enough to give you back all your Constitutional rights it shouldn't feel safe enough to let you out of prison.

What are you willing to apply that theory too? We should keep DUI offenders locked up instead of a suspended/revoked driver's license?

I know a guy that picked up a felony DUI habitual violator conviction back in the 80's. He got into AA, been sober and no interaction with the law for 30 years now.
Got voting rights returned, but still no firearms rights.

Driving isn't a Constitutional right.
The subject of this thread is relating to the 2nd Amendment if I understand the OP.
I worked with a guy that had served time, not much if I recall, a few months, for domestic violence. He and his wife were both drinking, witnesses stated she hit him first, but he hit her harder so they both caught a charge.
When I worked with him he couldn't even own a hunting rifle.
Do we have the resources to look at every case individually?
How many times do we hear about habitual DUI drivers on the road with a suspended or revoked license? How do you know which felons will be habitual offenders and who won't? We can't tell.

How do you know which felons will be habitual offenders and who won't? We can't tell.
Exactly, but what they have proven is that they ARE felons - when they reintegrate into society and become a functioning constructive member, then they can follow the process to have their rights restored.

So, let me get this straight . . . .

Your wife leaves you, takes the kids, moves felon boyfriend in. One day you go over to visit your kids, she meets you in the yard and says, "Yo, you need to get up outa here, you ain't seein yo d*** kids". In the heat of the moment you shove her back, or even slap her back as she's all up in your face (which is probably not the best reaction but let's say it happens). Felon boyfriend comes out of the house puts two in your chest, you die there in the front yard as your kids watch through the front window ---- and you don't want felon boyfriend charged -- because of gun rights??? Are you for real?

negative, its just a complicated issue. sounds more like he is just asking should felon to be able to defend themselves in a self defense situation. This situation sounds more like it wasnt a self defense situation but who knows, maybe the beating was sever enough to warrant the shooting but not near enough information to determine it and thats what will be figured out in court.

This is obviously a large issue that a large portion of the public agree with as Georgia has already started giving certain felons back their firearms rights and even in HB60 it specifically states that felons should be allowed to claim self defense in using a firearm

I know a guy that picked up a felony DUI habitual violator conviction back in the 80's. He got into AA, been sober and no interaction with the law for 30 years now.
Got voting rights returned, but still no firearms rights.
If he got his voting rights back then he can own a gun. They go together, unless he did something stupid like waving that portion. Was this in Georgia. Was this really a friend, or friend of a friend? Asking for a friend. LOL

negative, its just a complicated issue. sounds more like he is just asking should felon to be able to defend themselves in a self defense situation. This situation sounds more like it wasnt a self defense situation but who knows, maybe the beating was sever enough to warrant the shooting but not near enough information to determine it and thats what will be figured out in court.

This is obviously a large issue that a large portion of the public agree with as Georgia has already started giving certain felons back their firearms rights and even in HB60 it specifically states that felons should be allowed to claim self defense in using a firearm
No, he specifically ask "would you convict".

Giving "certain felons" their rights back is fine provided they have successfully re-entered society AND followed the legal safeguards that are in place. Making a blanket policy that everyone released from prison should strap on a Glock is a disaster.

Back
Top Bottom