• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Do I need a Concealed Carry Permit?

i was under the impression it covers all schools. Yeah, odds are low; but i wouldnt want to risk it anyway. Just get the license and cover yourself. Plus you get reciprocity to other states.

I poked around a bit and still pretty sure it's k-12.

Odds are low, but as I said, I was just stating the obvious and not making a suggestion.

Yes, there are other good reasons to get a permit. I'm merely saying that it's not necessary.

Well I really appreciate all the advice, links to laws, and just all the responses in general. But like I said, I don't usually carry a gun on me. I usually keep it in my truck, but like if I was going to meet someone I don't know to buy a firearm, or a car, or anything that may imply I actually have money on me (everyone who knows me knows I'm broke. Lol), I will keep something with me simply for defense.

Yes, but I was referring to college campuses. Does that law cover college campuses? I don't believe it does, although I an not 100% sure on that.

For lower schools, yes, you are exempted from state prohibition, but no federal. Realistically, however, what are the odds of a federal LEO being there to catch you? From what I understand, a state or local LEO does not have authority to enforce federal law like that. If course, that is a purely academic discussion, as I dont intend to test that theory or become a test case for the Feds vs state laws.

While we usually do not endorse federal codes, our oath is to enforce all "local, state, and federal, law." including the constitution. FYI except for a few minor exceptions GA code mirrors federal Codes.

One of those exceptions is what we are discussing...georgia law has exemptions to GSZ that federal does not.

I didn't know a state or local LEO could arrest you for violating federal law. Thanks for clearing that up.

First off, thank you for your service!

My advice would be to also speak with your NG superiors. My understanding is that, if they don't have a carry permit, LEO's can only concealed-carry a weapon they have "qualified" with (in other words, they have tested and proved proficient with the exact weapon they are concealed-carrying). Otherwise, if they have a carry permit, they can carry any legal handgun. I would imagine the same would be true for someone serving in the military - you can carry a weapon you've qualified with, even if you don't have a carry permit, but you may need a carry permit to concealed-carry any other handgun that you have not specifically qualified with.

I am not a lawyer, this is just what I understand based upon what I've been told. It is also based on what my brother tells me (he is both former-military and current LEO). But he lives in TX, and the laws there are a little bit more strict than they are here in GA.

First off, thank you for your service!

My advice would be to also speak with your NG superiors. My understanding is that, if they don't have a carry permit, LEO's can only concealed-carry a weapon they have "qualified" with (in other words, they have tested and proved proficient with the exact weapon they are concealed-carrying). Otherwise, if they have a carry permit, they can carry any legal handgun. I would imagine the same would be true for someone serving in the military - you can carry a weapon you've qualified with, even if you don't have a carry permit, but you may need a carry permit to concealed-carry any other handgun that you have not specifically qualified with.

I am not a lawyer, this is just whatHey Six, he has a point. With that said though, it is possible to target the negative without interfering with the positive I understand based upon what I've been told. It is also based on what my brother tells me (he is both former-military and current LEO). But he lives in TX, and the laws there are a little bit more strict than they are here in GA.

Sounds like you are referring to HR 218 referring to nation wide LEO carry. A federal law.
You do have to qualify yearly and be actively employed and certified (or retired in good standing). The rest is departmental policy not state or federal law. And not associated with Ga carry laws.

Last edited:
I would get the Ga.license.Don`t depend on LEOs to know the law.My family has LEOs,one of them is not really familiar with firearms law.One is,though.I got into a hassle while in Missouri,once,due to a cop without up- to- date knowledge.Came out ok,but it could have really been a big deal.The military has a negative view of their folks carrying off-duty,anyway.Bases and posts have different rules.I`m retired,live close to Dobbins AFB,but have only been on base 3 times in 25 years,due to the fact I can`t legally go through the gate with a gun.Since I always have one,I don`t get to use the BX and other facilities.Other installations in Ga.allow hunting.Some Army commanders don`t want their guys and gals having guns at all,even in their off-base homes.This has been haggled over recently.Thanks for your service.Our military protects the 2nd amendment,yet doesn`t think it pertains to its on people.

Back
Top Bottom