• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Do I need a crush washer, with new flash suppressor ?

Mark IV

Default rank <3000 posts
ODT Junkie!
90   0
Reaction score
I'm considering installing a basic Brownells A2-type flash suppressor on a Savage bolt action 308 (these come threaded w/ barrel nut), and am wondering if I need to get the 5/8 crush washer,too, or if there's any reason I can't just install the suppressor, as is?
thanks....

Wouldn't you tighten the barrel nut against the back of the flash hider while keeping the flash hider properly clocked? That's how the Tavor X95 is set up.

Sounds like you need a jamb nut, if you need to time the flash suppresor, not a crush washer.

Sounds like you need a jamb nut, if you need to time the flash suppresor, not a crush washer.
maybe, but I'm not sure where I'd find a jamb nut with the right thread pitch. But, I think almost any washer (or two) would work, but I've already ordered the flash suppressor, with the crush washer they sell, so fingers crossed that it all works OK.
They should be here early next week. Thanks to all for weighing in........

Barrel nut? Perhaps you mean thread protector?

Unless it's a mount for a silencer, a crush washer will probably do the trick for a simple flash suppressor as long as you get it torqued enough. If you can't get a good torque/time, then the generally accepted solution, and the one used for silencer mounts, is to use a shim kit. With a silencer mount, one would also of course, use rockset.

yeah, 'thread protector' may be the correct term, I'd just heard 'barrel nut' used in this context in other cases, like "tack-welded barrel nut" on a Draco, stuff like that, which is basically the same thing I have here.

Back
Top Bottom