• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Do people really test their gear or just assume it works

sheep dog

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
270   0
Reaction score
When it comes to holsters...whether civilian or LEO do people just assume it will work when needed under stress? If not doing their own testing/training with their gear do they at least see what it can do or not do via video reviews, articles, etc.? Lately i have seen a lot of blackhawk serpa holsters on the hips of cops and civilians when out and about. I think its a poor design. This link below covers it pretty well as to why. If ya have a blackhawk serpa, do ya use it (train with it) or just wear it? What are yalls thoughts on the serpa holster? I dont carry owb anyways but the same goes for iwb. There are some poorly designed rigs that continue to be sold and purchased by individuals. Even if the gear is decent, do you train with it or merely assume it will work (and u will work) when needed? Just recently spoke with someone that carried an iwb design with a certain locking retention. I asked how often do you practice your draw? He said "i have not". I said "draw your pistol." he went to do so and could not draw from the holster :doh:. Any other holster designs, carry methods, etc that yall think is not effective enough for real world application?

here is the link...
https://bearingarms.com/bob-o/2017/04/06/serpa-sucks-thats-just-say/

I am not as careful as I should be about testing stuff under realistic conditions.

One example: after years of shooting a particular peep-sighted rifle in thick woods (or under a covered firing line), I took it out to shoot at a range where I had to lay under direct sunlight. That light film of oil on my sights made them pretty much impossible to use. Lots of glare.
After I shot 20 rounds, I gave up. My target looked like it had been fired on by a couple of shot guns loaded with buckshot from 100 yards out.

I did not have a cigarette lighter with me, or a candle, or any other substance to blacken the sights with a dull nonreflective black finish.

Luckily I had masking tape, so I ripped up some cardboard and made homemade hoods or sun shades for my front and rear sights.
That immediately shrank my groups to 1/4 of what they had been.

This is where shooting various forms of competition helps out. Not only are you able to test out your gear, you're able to do so under stress. What works in the basement or on the range casually shooting static targets doesn't always work out so well with a mittle bit of stress and movement added.

This is where shooting various forms of competition helps out. Not only are you able to test out your gear, you're able to do so under stress. What works in the basement or on the range casually shooting static targets doesn't always work out so well with a mittle bit of stress and movement added.

Too bad that idpa competion does not allow appendix/centerline carry as that is how i prefer to carry for the most comfortable, concealable, accessible method of conceal carry. This is my rig...t-rex arms sidecar

20170713_053145.jpg
some local ranges have idpa style matches but ya gotta go strong side behind the hip. Booooo...

I use and test my gear. Probably don't test it as often as I should. But I do use it every day in a some what unforgiving environment. I work in a repair shop I'm all over under cars in the parking lot climbing stuff and sitting and running. It holds up well. I have slimmed down what I carry on a daily basis over the last few years and in the process of trying to slim down or rearrange where I carry certain items.
b421a27956541fe72fe2f1a97bc4178e.jpg
two new things not pictured. My can or cans of dip and the gigantic iPhone 7 plus used to take the photo. I may get an belt clip for the phone to take away any attention to my small print of the grip on the glock. My work shirts are rather snug as I'm large fella

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a Blackhawk level 3 serpa for work, I like it but I hate it at the same time. I train with it a lot, when we got them compared to the leather holsters I was used to it was defiantly easier to inholster my weapon but had to retrain myself on unholstering. After about a month of having it and my new weapon I had a crazy amount of holster wear from training. I know people at work who just wear it and you can tell not only by the wear on their weapon but also how long it takes them to unholster.

Back
Top Bottom