• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Do you call out people pointing a gun at you?

I'll be nice about it the first time, it happens again, not so much. When I worked at a gun store, I went home with quite a few "free" bullets from customers' "unloaded" guns.

Had a guy at an outdoor range that was screwing around with his gun, working on it while it was sideways across the table. About 4 tables down from me and my buddy at a full range. First time i saw it happen, i asked him politely to work on it with the barrel pointing down range, rather across all the tables and at me. He was aggrevated about the gun more than me, grumbled a half hearted apology, and corrected the barrel alignment.

The second time he did it he was visibly more agitated, I popped up and yelled at him the next time I saw him pointing that thing at me, I would return the favor at his head while holding my garand. He was less receptive to this, and went off to tell the range master that i threatened him. Range master to his credit came over and asked the situation, i recounted the above and said the gentleman seemed to be having an issue with his firearm and with keeping it pointing down range while he screwed around with it. Range master ended up getting in an argument with the guy and ejecting him.

What got me about the situation is the other people at the range who saw what was going on either did nothing to ensure their safety and continued to shoot, or just stood up and behind the tables to get out of the line of fire without bringing up the situation to the gentleman or the range master. Im not a badass, nor a guy to confront people for no reason, but when a guy is threatening you and others with his own ineptitude and stupidity, you gotta say something.

I try to be nice but usually ending up sounding like a dick cause the morons that pull this crap continue until you say it louder with purpose.

Amen. Some people have no natural awareness and never were taught to have any. A kind admonition is sometimes all that's needed.

But if it's someone who thinks they know about guns and can't handle the slightest criticism, they will get belligerent and/or continue to flag folks. At that point they've earned the insult that's coming.

or they give you the "it's not loaded" crap

It boils my blood every time I hear it.

Two sayings I've picked up that I like,
"Every year people get shocked by wire that 'isn't hot', and shot by guns that 'weren't loaded.'"
"You don't get to decide whether I'm comfortable or not with you pointing a gun at me"

I've unloaded lots of guns that were already "unloaded" when I had my old gun store. No need to be polite. Your safety and the safety of others around you is more important than someone's feelings.

I've seen twice as many unloaded guns go off as loaded ones "accidently".

I'd probably say "Whoa.....watch that muzzle man!" in a semi-friendly but concerned tone. :rolleyes:

A while back I called out three guys at an indoor range that were shooting the floor, walls and ceiling. I also told the manager.

Safety ranks higher than feelings! Everybody wants to go home at the end of the day without any new holes.

The main reason I quit going to indoor ranges and joined Riverbend was because of a (repeated) muzzle sweeping incident at a local indoor range with my kids and a dumbass with a 1911. Dumbass waved that mf-er around like he was fly fishing or something. I would have said something either way, but I was there with my kids and the last time he did it I could see the hammer was back while he was sweeping my sons and it set me off. That whole scene scared my kids straight for life!

But short answer - yeah, I will say something and I don't care if it hurts someone's feelings.

Back
Top Bottom