• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Do you carry a copy of your trust with you when you have an NFA item?

albatros43

Default rank 5000+ posts Supporter
Jackwagon
176   0
Reaction score
In order to legally be in possession of an NFA item that is owned by a trust, you just have to be a trustee. I make sure to have a copy of my tax stamp when I'm in possession of an NFA item, but how would anyone know if you were a trustee at the range or anywhere else you might be questioned? I've never thought to carry a copy of my 32-page trust with me that says I'm a trustee.

My guess is I'll never be asked and a copy of the stamp would be good enough. However, it seems to me in lieu of lugging around a copy of your trust there's no way to prove you're legally able to be in possession of an NFA item.

If an ATF agent wants to see mine, they can follow me home and see it. I aint carryin all that crap around.

I tend to agree. My question was really more about illustrating how you get a trust, add trustees, but then have no way to prove who is a trustee other than if someone visited you at home and looked at your trust. Practically speaking you'd only be questioned when out in public in which case you couldn't readily prove you could be in possession. It just shows how stupid it all is. If anything, just charge a $200 tax to buy those items and treat them like any other 4473 purchase.

Do you have to show paperwork to anyone?

I was thinking anyone other than ATF asking to see paperwork could go POAR.

I do have my trust and all forms saved on a protected flash drive that stays on my keychain though.

The ATF is the only agency you're "required" to show it to.

If shooting at a commercial range... some may ask to see if you want to use their facility.

I've never had any one ask.

I am not confident that a LEO who is not familiar enough with the process to accept the stamp as proof would be able to determine the legality of any trust paperwork you gave him.

Back
Top Bottom