• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Do you have a faraday cage/box/bag etc.?

Do you have a faraday enclosure?

• Yes - commercial

Votes: 10 18.2%
  • Yes - DIY

Votes: 11 20.0%
  • No

Votes: 34 61.8%

• Total voters
He's probably talking about the ones with wide-open power on the GMRS bands. Big whoop-- I bought some of those when they were all the rage a few years ago. They're crap. No range. Half mile at best in the real world. Buy a quality Japanese ham "talkie"-- it'll work much further. But there's not anybody to talk to really. That hobby is dead in 20 years. May as well free up all those bands for other uses. Sorry hams.
I’m familiar with the baofeng radios that have been restricted by the FCC and subsequently redesigned. They are decent radios for what they are. I’d like to hear his definition to expand my knowledge.

Faraday cage = big steel box. Electrically ground your gun safe. Electronic gear will be just as safe in there as a trash can.
It's a big SEALED box. If there's any way for charge to travel the surface and get inside it's not a Faraday cage. It's just a box. Unless you tape every crack with conductive tape a gun safe will make a pretty poor cage.

The worry is overblown. Worry about the power grid. Worry about being in an aircraft during EMP. Don't worry about your vehicle (it's shielded), or most of your electronics that aren't plugged into an outlet.

You have far, far bigger problems than EMP if someone starts tossing nukes. And I seriously doubt Atlanta would be high on the list of EMP bomb targets. NYC, DC, LA, Chicago... they'll run out of bombs before they get to Atlanta. Yeah, yeah, I know-- one at the right height over Kansas MIGHT do a lot of EMP damage. Might. Might not. One 1000 feet above DC definitely will. Why waste your limited supply of bombs on "might"?

I have a little faraday pouch though, for very different reasons. I have a newer "keyless ignition" (which is stupid) car... and one can pretty easily steal those cars with a repeater attack. When I'm out somewhere in public, I keep the fob in the pouch.

The EMP worriers aren't engineers or scientists, I would expect. (I am.) I lump this with people worrying over the expiration dates of things like potassium iodide.... just another way to separate you from your money.

I use electronic locks on my safe. And sleep soundly.

Nukes start flying life on this earth is over as we know it. Nobody is going to care that their electronics don’t work.

It's a big SEALED box. If there's any way for charge to travel the surface and get inside it's not a Faraday cage. It's just a box. Unless you tape every crack with conductive tape a gun safe will make a pretty poor cage.
Following Dr. Bradley, you have to line the inside of the metal container with non-conductive material including the lid as I did for a 30-gallon new trash can. And per the Dr., I had to add additional aluminum metal tape along the top rim of the can and the inside vertical area of the lid to ensure a very tight seal. Or purchase one of his tested EMP seals. All of my extra electronic equipment is stored in mirrored anti-static ESD bags within the trash can.

Let's be honest. EMP attack of the scale you guys are talking about and 80% of the people in this thread will be dead in under 2 weeks with the other 20% MAYBE making it 6 months. 12 months in I would imagine 99% would be buzzard/other people food.

Two way radios....lol.
Well, let the best man win.

Back
Top Bottom