• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Do you have a faraday cage/box/bag etc.?

Do you have a faraday enclosure?

• Yes - commercial

Votes: 10 18.2%
  • Yes - DIY

Votes: 11 20.0%
  • No

Votes: 34 61.8%

• Total voters
This thread reminds me I need to replace some capacitors on an old Zenith Shortwave receiver I have,

The problem as I see it with Faraday cages is that your devices have to be in them when the EMP happens.
If they're inside of the faraday cage you won't be able to use them. If the cage is working that is. I know this because I've worked inside them before.

So if you need to use your device, you take it out of the cage and while you're ordering pizza, the emp happens.
Your device is dead, your kids are going to go hungry that evening.

The only real way to get an effective EMP that I'm aware of is an atmospheric nuclear detonation.
If there are others, I'd like to hear about them.

G. Gordon Liddy wrote a speculative article for Omni Magazine once in which he talked about some sort of device that was connected to a sub station and detonated and caused the EMP pulse to use the power cables as a conduit to travel to the stuff it was going to kill.
As far as I know, his prediction didn't come true yet.

I don't see a scenario where just one nuke goes off. In fact the only scenario I see is one where thousands go off. In that scenario there is no survival.

That's the whole beauty of mutually assured destruction. Before a single EMP made it into our airspace, there would be thousands of ICBMs, cruise missiles, crap we have never heard of launched and in under 30 minutes the earth would be uninhabitable by all but the roaches.

Wondering how to keep those simple two-way radios charged ??
Power grid will be down.
Solar ?? Inverters probably no worky. Better stock up on Duracell/Eveready...

Two tin cans and a long string. ;)
Batteries last for years, solar chargers, and there are hand crank versions. Powering a 2 way will be the least of problems. She really just needs to turn off the TV. But I suspect there are some Ukrainians who a week ago were watching Ukrainian Idol and eating popcorn so what do I know? :noidea: Hey, I'm not about to tell people to not prepare even if I traipse blissfully along my way....

Back
Top Bottom