• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Do you have a faraday cage/box/bag etc.?

Do you have a faraday enclosure?

• Yes - commercial

Votes: 10 18.2%
  • Yes - DIY

Votes: 11 20.0%
  • No

Votes: 34 61.8%

• Total voters
I’d suggest getting a pre-ban radio. More people worldwide use them still to this day and if comms go out it’ll be your best bet. Not only can you maintain comms with family/friends that have one, you can also get news from individuals worldwide.

Most faraday boxes sold commercial are not only a waste of money but a waste of space.
What exactly is a pre-ban radio?

The worry is overblown. Worry about the power grid. Worry about being in an aircraft during EMP. Don't worry about your vehicle (it's shielded), or most of your electronics that aren't plugged into an outlet.

You have far, far bigger problems than EMP if someone starts tossing nukes. And I seriously doubt Atlanta would be high on the list of EMP bomb targets. NYC, DC, LA, Chicago... they'll run out of bombs before they get to Atlanta. Yeah, yeah, I know-- one at the right height over Kansas MIGHT do a lot of EMP damage. Might. Might not. One 1000 feet above DC definitely will. Why waste your limited supply of bombs on "might"?

I have a little faraday pouch though, for very different reasons. I have a newer "keyless ignition" (which is stupid) car... and one can pretty easily steal those cars with a repeater attack. When I'm out somewhere in public, I keep the fob in the pouch.

The EMP worriers aren't engineers or scientists, I would expect. (I am.) I lump this with people worrying over the expiration dates of things like potassium iodide.... just another way to separate you from your money.

I use electronic locks on my safe. And sleep soundly.

What exactly is a pre-ban radio?
He's probably talking about the ones with wide-open power on the GMRS bands. Big whoop-- I bought some of those when they were all the rage a few years ago. They're crap. No range. Half mile at best in the real world. Buy a quality Japanese ham "talkie"-- it'll work much further. But there's not anybody to talk to really. That hobby is dead in 20 years. May as well free up all those bands for other uses. Sorry hams.

The worry is overblown. Worry about the power grid. Worry about being in an aircraft during EMP. Don't worry about your vehicle (it's shielded), or most of your electronics that aren't plugged into an outlet.

You have far, far bigger problems than EMP if someone starts tossing nukes. And I seriously doubt Atlanta would be high on the list of EMP bomb targets. NYC, DC, LA, Chicago... they'll run out of bombs before they get to Atlanta. Yeah, yeah, I know-- one at the right height over Kansas MIGHT do a lot of EMP damage. Might. Might not. One 1000 feet above DC definitely will. Why waste your limited supply of bombs on "might"?

You might want to do a little more research on that one. Atlanta is the communication hub of the SE US and has the busiest airport in the world for moving people and goods. There are also a few large military contractors here (several of which you may not know even exist). If it ever comes to that, Atlanta would be pretty high on the list of early targets.

You might want to do a little more research on that one. Atlanta is the communication hub of the SE US and has the busiest airport in the world for moving people and goods. There are also a few large military contractors here (several of which you may not know even exist). If it ever comes to that, Atlanta would be pretty high on the list of early targets.
Dobbins is on every target list...

Back
Top Bottom