• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Do you have an electric screwdriver that you would buy again?

Buck119

Default rank <4500 posts
Beretta Aficionado
220   0
Reaction score
Tired of using the electric power drill for screws as well. I want to buy a variable speed screwdriver, for the usual basic jobs I have to do from time to time at home.
Suggestions based on your own direct experience?

Dremel Driver, small & lightweight and it’ll drive 3” deck screws. Has a docking station to keep it’s lithium battery charged when you’re not using it and about a dozen bits for it. I forget what it cost but it was well worth it.

Tired of using the electric power drill for screws as well. I want to buy a variable speed screwdriver, for the usual basic jobs I have to do from time to time at home.
Suggestions based on your own direct experience?

Are you looking for a power screwdriver or a power drill? The best power screwdriver I've ever used is a Makita folding power screw driver. Smaller, lighter and much more useful than a power drill if you're getting into small places. We have two at work that are pushing 10 years old and just keep going.

Looks like this is the current version:

32AD371A-BE7C-4140-A650-27D517988933.jpeg

I got a Milwaukee and this DeWalt and love the DeWalt because of the gyroscopic speed and direction control.
if we’re talking drill drivers, Milwaukee gets my vote. I have both 12 and 18 volt and rarely find anything the 12 volt won’t handle.

I bought the Milwaukee because I already had the batteries. I have the adjustable torque because I work on aircraft.

Any adjustable torque driver that is not a drill will do well.

If you are winding lag bolts through 2X4’s I would get the 3 speed Dewalt

I mostly have Makita tools. Mine have lasted nearly forever. I have a power saw that I used daily for 30 some years. The power cord, switch and motor brushes are all I've ever replaced. I've had the 7v and 9v cordless drills. I sold my old 7v years ago and still have the 9v. The 9v will do anything I need to do with it. Run long screws and bolts to drilling masonry with a small good condition bit. The only thing is keeping a working battery, I retired out of that business some time ago. If you don't use them regularly they go bad. But at least I can still get batteries. They haven't made that drill for a long time. Turn the clutch up to direct drive and it'll last forever. Mine's @30yrs old. I bought that drill when it was probably the most powerful one on the market at the time. Now they have cordless impact wrenches capable of @400 ft. lbs. I also have a hammer drill, had it quite a while too. Makita aren't the most ergonomic tools, but for quality vs price vs longevity and dependability they're hard to beat.

Thanks guys, I have to check all those models out.

The only thing is keeping a working battery, I retired out of that business some time ago. If you don't use them regularly they go bad.
That' one of my problems and also the reason why I replaced my previous power drill with a corded one and an extensions cord. I don't have to deal with death batteries anymore nor have to recharge them before being able to use the drill.

Back
Top Bottom