• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Do You Practice Draw and Fire From Concealed Carry?

ReloaderBen, Today at 6:27 PM.
"Do you ever practice this?" Nope.

56DD80A8-8CEB-4FC2-A1D8-185F3B391513.gif

Always practice drawing, shooting and reloading the way I carry concealed! Practice includes firing from vehicle, from sitting at a table, ground firing and reloading as well as from on my back! You never know what or when something can happen! It’s best to be as ready as possible and aware of your surroundings !

Absolutely! Deploying your weapon from concealment and firing is the single most important skill for anyone that carries. All the other stuff is fine and good, but getting the first round on target fast will decide the outcome of an engagement 90% of the time.

You also mentioned you are shooting at targets 15 yards away. That's a long shot in handgun SD. Spend some time with an IPSC target at half that distance. Your goal should be 80% A zone hits. If you are getting more A hits than that, speed up, you're too slow. If you are getting less, slow down.

I also spend a lot of time doing this at even shorter range, but point shooting.

I took all 3 of the guns a normally carry, depending on the situation, to my range today. I did some practice drawing and firing 2 shots from 15 yards with all 3. I did ok but there are so many variables with clothing or different types of holsters.

Do you ever practice this?
Since I carry a glock 17 police trade in in the front of my pants holsterless after I missed my pork and beans the first time I figured it wasn't a good idea to keep practicing and pushing my luck. YMMV.

I will post my response from the thread started in response to this thread by Bypass Bypass about if we practice breathing and other activities so not all of what you’ll read will apply haha but most of it will.

In regards to your question, Do i practice breathing? Yes, i invest time and effort into fitness training to be able to breath better, more controlled, and to be in the overall best shape I can be in which could potential weigh in my favor in a violent encounter or the like. My approach to firearms is the same as fitness. Train. What you put in, you get out. It’s been proven time and again the benefits of dry fire training and even working from your holster and doing various drills, sorta like heavy bag work and shadow boxing. Would ya ask an mma fighter...do you practice fighting?

One example of not “practicing with what ya carry” would be a buddy of mine that carried in a N82 tactical holster that had a unique twist release to remove firearm. One day I asked him how he liked the holster and if he was proficient in draw stroke. He went to draw the pistol and could not retrieve it from the holster. Oops! He said he had never tried it before that day. If that was a violent encounter, dead. I have had articles of clothing I have gotten rid of because it would impede or prevent my draw. To each his own. But I am also relaxed and stay calm as ya said. But how do you stay calm? One way is by controlled breathing...which requires practice. I merge my fitness with firearm training so it’s actually a lot of fun but I don’t wear yoga pants

Back
Top Bottom