• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Do You Practice Draw and Fire From Concealed Carry?

Serpa holster
That's why you don't use SERPA holsters.
There have been many such incidents using them and mostly by the most experienced (fastest) shooters.
Aha so that's why his finger was right next to the trigger. I never realized that about his little mishap. He has to be one of the most ridiculed people on the whole internet.

JPM, those are very good times. That is wearing a belt for competitions or plain clothes? I wish I had the time and the money to shoot that often. :yo:
Those are all from my USPSA belt but I dont have a race holster on it. Just a standard kydex comptac.
times are a little slower from concealment. I can do about a 1sec draw from concealment on a 5 yard target. not less for sure. Just started dabbling in IDPA which is more "how you carry"

it definitely takes alot of time and money to get decent at it. You figure most C, heck, even D class shooters in USPSA are probably better shooters and gun handlers than 99% of the gun owning population

And it may just be me, but I have the same Romeo 5 red dot on all of my ARs so I know how to manipulate them all in the same manner.

Just my 2 cents
I agree 100% with the idea of using similar platforms, techniques and set ups across as many of my weapons as possible.

All of my SD handguns are Glocks with the same trigger improvements, all of my bolt action rifles have 2.5lb triggers (precision or hunting), all of my ARs and my M1a have 3.5lb triggers, all of my "Red Dots" are the same brand and model, all of my low magnification scopes are the same brand and model.

I even use a very similar shooting stance for handgun, tactical carbine and tactical shotgun. My feet, torso and shoulder position is the same for all three. I can set one down and pick up another and the only thing that moves is my hand position.

This keeps things simpler and a lot of the practice I do with one weapon translates to others.

why don't you come out to a USPSA match sometime? I'm not saying i'm super fast. I suck in comparison to alot of folks. But I practice more than most folks. A timer is the only way to quantify your training to see if you are getting faster/better.
When I first started, my draw time was right a 1 sec. bill drill time was 2.5 seconds. now I can rip off a draw under .7 and a bill drill in 1.7ish. I've pulled off a few 6 reload 6 in 4 seconds flat.

It doesn't really matter if you suck compared to some of the other competition shooters. They are all good guys, in all probability, and it is not likely you will be facing them in the street.

My draw has always been fast. Very fast, actually. My biggest problem was drawing and hitting the target with speed. That's why I have been practicing my handgun times diligently for the past couple years. I would love to try some competitions, but have no idea how to get started or what to do.

I agree 100% with the idea of using similar platforms, techniques and set ups across as many of my weapons as possible.

All of my SD handguns are Glocks with the same trigger improvements, all of my bolt action rifles have 2.5lb triggers (precision or hunting), all of my ARs and my M1a have 3.5lb triggers, all of my "Red Dots" are the same brand and model, all of my low magnification scopes are the same brand and model.

I even use a very similar shooting stance for handgun, tactical carbine and tactical shotgun. My feet, torso and shoulder position is the same for all three. I can set one down and pick up another and the only thing that moves is my hand position.

This keeps things simpler and a lot of the practice I do with one weapon translates to others.

I totally agree with keeping the guns as similar as possible, but do you ever shoot from your back, prone, on your side, crouched, kneeling, one handed, twisted and uncomfortable, etc?

wrong. slow is slow.
Yeah, but slow is a relative term. The idea of that saying is that if you practice slow and proper technique, you will gain speed naturally while maintaining good form.

This was driven home to me at a cowboy action match many years ago. I was relatively new to the sport, but had done a lot of practice to become proficient. I had focused only on good technique and had never tried to do things particularly fast. I shot in the "duelist" class, so I had to draw, fire, reholster and then cross draw my second weapon with the same hand. One of the stages had felt particularly smooth to me, but again, I had made no effort to be fast. After I was off the line I was approached by three separate people commenting on how fast I was and my time supported that. It didn't feel fast at all. It felt smooth.

With all that said, you do need to get to a point where you are telling yourself to go faster, but without the foundation of good form gained through slow smooth practice, any effort to go fast will be a train wreck and counter productive.

why don't you come out to a USPSA match sometime? I'm not saying i'm super fast. I suck in comparison to alot of folks. But I practice more than most folks. A timer is the only way to quantify your training to see if you are getting faster/better.
When I first started, my draw time was right a 1 sec. bill drill time was 2.5 seconds. now I can rip off a draw under .7 and a bill drill in 1.7ish. I've pulled off a few 6 reload 6 in 4 seconds flat.
Okay, you get it. But you know what I'm talking about building skills, too. Right?

"Slow is smooth, smooth is fast" is encouragement for new and intermediate shooters to gain skill before speed. Way too many people try to go too fast too soon.

Watching some videos now on YouTube.
This guy can quick draw / fire and twirl his guns on his fingers and back into the holsters with 2 guns at the same time...Amazing.
Do you always show sarcastic disdain for people with a higher level of skill than you?

Reactions: MRH
Back
Top Bottom