• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Doc Holliday was a Georgia boy!

zC6HvlN.gif

Wyatt Earp is also a good movie. Probably more historically accurate depiction of Doc Holiday from what I've read.

It is much more historically accurate, but still not exact. Many believe the Earps were corrupt, and for good reason. I don't know how corrupt they were, but they certainly played favorites with those they had invested their money with.

Holiday was a thug, in reality. Nobody screws up history better than Hollyweird. He didn't go west because of the fresh air and his tuberculosis. He went west to escape warrants for killing a black kid for swimming in a white swimming hole. "Negroes must know their place" was his response to the accusation. Oh, and he grew up around Waycross. I thought everyone knew he was from Georgia. We learn something new everyday.

Tombstone is a complete fail in historical accuracy. Entertaining maybe, and correct on some key points, but not even close to reality.

Holiday was a thug, in reality. Nobody screws up history better than Hollyweird. He didn't go west because of the fresh air and his tuberculosis. He went west to escape warrants for killing a black kid for swimming in a white swimming hole. "Negroes must know their place" was his response to the accusation. Oh, and he grew up around Waycross. I thought everyone knew he was from Georgia. We learn something new everyday.

There were no warrants for killing a black kid. There is no written record that the alleged killing happened.

Holliday was a licensed dentist, practicing in Atlanta, with ads in the Atlanta newspapers. If there was a warrant for his arrest, he wouldn't have been very hard to find.

Given the location, times and prominence of the Holliday family it's very unlikely a warrant would have been issued, even if the incident occurred.

Margaret Mitchell and Doc were distant cousins, with a intermediate cousin that was close to both. Doc and the cousin had extensive correspondence, that was kept in Atlanta after his death, but which was eventually burned by the family. That correspondence would have been a real historical treasure trove.

There were no warrants for killing a black kid. There is no written record that the alleged killing happened.

Holliday was a licensed dentist, practicing in Atlanta, with ads in the Atlanta newspapers. If there was a warrant for his arrest, he wouldn't have been very hard to find.

Given the location, times and prominence of the Holliday family it's very unlikely a warrant would have been issued, even if the incident occurred.

Margaret Mitchell and Doc were distant cousins, with a intermediate cousin that was close to both. Doc and the cousin had extensive correspondence, that was kept in Atlanta after his death, but which was eventually burned by the family. That correspondence would have been a real historical treasure trove.

Back then officers did not go beyond state lines to detain criminals, and he was wanted in Ga. for murdering the black kid. It is a known fact and fairly well documented. There was no written record that the killing ever happened? Well I wonder where I read it? :suspicious:

Where did you get your info? On the internet like Wikipedia, or an old history book?

Yeah my Gf is also a cousin to Margret Mitchell. Big deal.

And while we're on the subject of BS, let's talk about John Ringo. OK, we're done. Yes, he rode with the Clantons and McLaury's for a time but looking back through history there is absolutely nothing that points to him being anything special when it comes to outlaws, gun-slinging, or anything else. It's like fiction writers and Hollyweird picked his name out of a list of obscure folks from the Clanton-McLaury faction, liked the sound of it, and made him into something he wasn't. Even Louis L'Amour once spoke of John Ringo and how he had never found one iota of documentation as to why his legend was created. He never did anything worth documentation. Therefore John Ringo must be either the luckiest, or the most cursed man in the annals of history. He was just some guy. A petty criminal at best who the Earps did not like because of his associations. That's all. His reputation was created for him. The character in Tombstone was most certainly a figment of someone's imagination. Same with Jimmy Ringo in "the gunfighter".

There was no written record that the killing ever happened? Well I wonder where I read it? :suspicious:

You either read it online, or in a mid-20th century biography that repeated the story based on family sources. The only "recorded" evidence was a statement by Bat Masterson made around the turn of the 20th century in another article. Bat was pretty obviously not involved in the original supposed incident.

There is no contemporaneous written documentation.

If there was a warrant actually issued, it would be a pretty simple matter to produce some record of it. If the incident is so well documented, whip it out.

FWIW, I researched this a long time before there was any such thing as the interweb, and we had to go to the libraries and read real books (over even more fun, micro-fiches) , and used something called "inter-library loan" for the books our library didn't have. We had some family that lived in the Griffin area, and the Holliday connection has been a source of local interest my whole life. It's not as if Griffin just discovered it.

Back then officers did not go beyond state lines to detain criminals, and he was wanted in Ga. for murdering the black kid.

Really!!!!

Too bad you weren't John Wesley Hardin's lawyer. He did 18 years hard time after being arrested in Pensacola, Fl. by Texas Rangers and convicted in Texas for his crimes.

Back
Top Bottom