• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Dodge Ram help

Parker

Default rank <750 posts
Frontiersman
26   0
Reaction score
Hello all,

I need some help. I'm not a super savvy car guy but I can do most things myself once I know what I need to do. I need some diagnostic help. So I just bought a 2007 Dodge Ram slt with the 4.7 with an auto transmission. All was great for a little over a week but this morning things got weird.

The revs rise and fall when idleing on a cold start and starting it up when the engine is warm. Also, at highway speeds it can't decide which gear to be in. It will shift back and forth with no input from me at the pedal. It is waiting a lot longer to shift then I would prefer.

I feel like it is a sensor going bad?

Thoughts?

If you have the 45 RFE transmission then it could a shift solenoid. Has this happen in my 2007 around 60000 miles. Can't remember the exact solenoid but there was an upgrade at the time that used a solenoid out of a Chevy truck. Worked great after I installed it and it wasn't hard. Just very messy. I think I got it from sun coast transmission out of California.

Have you pulled the codes from the computer ?

You can buy a gizmo at any auto parts store that plugs into the port under the steering wheel and blue tooths to your smart phone and shows what's happening with the computer

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Have you pulled the codes from the computer ?

You can buy a gizmo at any auto parts store that plugs into the port under the steering wheel and blue tooths to your smart phone and shows what's happening with the computer

I believe that AutoZone will run their handheld scanner for free on your vehicle.

these have an idle air control valve, which can get dirty and or go bad. Most likely cause of your idle issue. Clean the throttle body too

Hello all,

I need some help. I'm not a super savvy car guy but I can do most things myself once I know what I need to do. I need some diagnostic help. So I just bought a 2007 Dodge Ram slt with the 4.7 with an auto transmission. All was great for a little over a week but this morning things got weird.

The revs rise and fall when idleing on a cold start and starting it up when the engine is warm. Also, at highway speeds it can't decide which gear to be in. It will shift back and forth with no input from me at the pedal. It is waiting a lot longer to shift then I would prefer.

I feel like it is a sensor going bad?

Thoughts?
There is a crank sensor on the rear of the motor almost at the bell housing, way in the back and hard to find. Without diagnosing I'd bet this would be your best start. Doesn't throw a accurate code either.

I believe that AutoZone will run their handheld scanner for free on your vehicle.

Yes they will
If you ever there and
If they can find their scanner and if they can find some one who knows how to use it

A scanner is less than $100 and very handy if you have a car newer than a 1996

Back
Top Bottom