• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Doe in my backyard

harrycalahan

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
116   0
Reaction score
I got one. Shes been hanging around for a couple of weeks and more than likely is the same one that frequented my lot last year. Shes been eating my weeds and other items but she is terribly under weight. Im not a hunter so I have no idea what to buy to feed her. I live in a neighborhood and good food is apparently hard to come by for her. Salt licks are just for drawing them right? No nutritional value. Should I just get a bag of corn? I just thought I could put out enough to keep her nourished. I dont want her to depend on me too much. All advice welcome. Thanks boys.[Broken External Image]:

Last edited:
Deer put on weight in the spring and fall and slim down under the stresses of winter and summer. I wouldn't worry about feeding her unless it makes you feel better. She's a wild animal and can take care of herself.

Well its not something thats gonna keep me up at night. If I lived i the country Id already have her in the freezer. But since I cant, I kinda like having her around and wanted to give her a good reason to keep coming back. Who knows, I might make her my pet after all.

She may have fawns that are suckling like crazy. It can really run them down in a hurry. Put some corn out for her. The corn will be an added bonus for your deer and should not make them dependant of you.

Ok, realize again that I havent fed deer before but should I apply the corn in a particular way? If I just throw it on the ground, wont the birds go after it? I also have ducks and geese that frequent the area. Maybe put it in a bucket?

Ok, realize again that I havent fed deer before but should I apply the corn in a particular way? If I just throw it on the ground, wont the birds go after it? I also have ducks and geese that frequent the area. Maybe put it in a bucket?

If you want to feed her you may want to try a 4" pvc pipe set up. They've worked well for me. The PVC pipe comes in 10' sections. Cut them it in half so you have two 5' sections. Next I use a small hacksaw to cut a V notch in knockout cap similar to this:

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Oatey-4-in-ABS-Insert-Test-Cap-with-Knockout-39103/100113503

Glue it with PVC glue to one end of the pvc pipe. Once the glue dries it loses its odor and it doesn't bother the deer. You can spray paint it with a color of your choice to help it blend in if you wish though the paint won't stick to the pvc very well. Attach it to a tree with two or three 24 or 36 inch zip ties. To keep water out I use a milk jug, coffee can, etc and stick it over the top. Here's a photo of one of mine in action so you get an idea of what they look like:

View attachment 302548

Each one holds about 20 or 25 lbs of corn. Hope this helps.

Back
Top Bottom