• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Does anybody practice Krav Maga?

1649259475067.png

This is 100% true!!!!! I’ve seen a black belt get mauled in a ring by a street fighter. Same age and weight.
Not all black belts are created equal. This applies to the art, the individual black belt, and the instructor/lineage that promoted said black belt. Still, to your point, you can be the best fighter in the world and be taken by surprise/lose in a real world situation or make a small mistake that costs you everything. Fighting for sport versus fighting for your life is completely different. So different, that it is often hard to simulate or spar mass repetition of real world altercations. Age also plays a factor from art to art. You can not be promoted to black belt until you are 18. Other arts allow this promotion at an earlier age. Biggest thing to remember, there is always someone bigger and badder. If you won, it's simply because you did not encounter that individual in that particular moment.
1649969865637.png

Like the title says. I’m interested in learning Krav Maga, but don’t really know where to start. I’d like to get some feedback on it, and if you train somewhere do you have full contact sparring?
While I have a strong bias towards Jiu Jitsu, you will get nothing but support from me for training (any art). It's great that you have identified the art that interests you. Make sure you vet your instructors. If possible, try and find a location that is no more than 20 minutes from where you live. That alone will help you stay consistent on attendance and get the most out of a membership/class package. As you train, visit other schools, try other arts. You will see an insane amount of similarities between Judo, Jiu Jitsu, Krav Maga, Sambo, Grappling, Wrestling, and others.

From my experience, I have not witnessed a whole lot of sparring in Krav Maga. I actually had to Google it to see if that was an actual thing. What I found was basically the same as MMA. Regardless, I think you mentioned also wanting to get cardio in. Most martial arts are great at killing two birds with one stone (learning & exercise). If you get to an academy and there is no physical movement, sparring, or application of the lesson, don't waste your time. If the instructor is not willing to spar with their students (in a professional manner), also a waste of time (unless they have other black belts/instructors consistently working under them. Some instructors may be older or injured). Being able to utilize a martial art is all about repetition and pulling it off in training/sparring (when someone is actively trying to not let you do said technique).

I wish you the best of luck on starting Krav. I'll happily answer any questions or help vet academies if that interests you. I've trained/instructed in GA for 15 years.

Not all black belts are created equal. This applies to the art, the individual black belt, and the instructor/lineage that promoted said black belt. Still, to your point, you can be the best fighter in the world and be taken by surprise/lose in a real world situation or make a small mistake that costs you everything. Fighting for sport versus fighting for your life is completely different. So different, that it is often hard to simulate or spar mass repetition of real world altercations. Age also plays a factor from art to art. You can not be promoted to black belt until you are 18. Other arts allow this promotion at an earlier age. Biggest thing to remember, there is always someone bigger and badder. If you won, it's simply because you did not encounter that individual in that particular moment.
View attachment 4188084
Absolutely, every situation and individual is different.

I hold the rank of instructor in 3 systems, any system is only as good as you develope your skills with. I've watched an untrained guy start throwing hay makers and beat the bejeezus out of a very agile and healthy seasoned black belt, some people are just natural wrecking machines
Ditto. In the fight game from 13-39. Boxing, kickboxing, judo.
For a spell of 5 years close to 5 hrs a day of training and roadwork.
I've seen just about everything. Everyone can get there ass handed to them at some point.

I have and I was considered pretty decent during that period.

Like the title says. I’m interested in learning Krav Maga, but don’t really know where to start. I’d like to get some feedback on it, and if you train somewhere do you have full contact sparring?
Krav Maga Forge the instructor is Toky Reed and her husband ..this is the real Krav not the Hollywood crap Woodstock and Snellville area

Back
Top Bottom