• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Does anyone else hit deer as often as I do?

Whitey

Default rank <750 posts
Frontiersman
21   0
Reaction score
Serious question. For atleast the past 20 years or so, I have averaged hitting 2-3 deer a year. Often times early in the morning, but really at all hours, and usually with disastrous consequences for the deer. It is not the vehicle I am driving because it has spanned gas burners and diesels, Dodges and Fords. (Thank God not a Chevy, I would probably be dead by now). A large buck committed Harry Carey on my drivers side door this morning about 6:15 am. He stumbled off and I did not feel like chasing him thru peoples yards. A few months ago I ran over a yearling coming home from the grocery store and a little before that I crunched a doe in the golf course community down the street. Kind of hope they were all one family.
But how unique is this? I literally have a cattle guard on my truck to protect it from these road hazards. I cannot imagine driving a car or a foreign truck what kind of damage would be done. I started thinking about it today and I have probably killed or maimed 50 deer over the past two decades. Only a few have done any minor damage to my truck and the one this morning actually cleaned the dirt off a wide streak down the drivers side of my cab. Once many years ago I hit two deer in the span of about 15 miles driving thru Milton and Alpharetta.
So how common is this? Does anyone else have this kind of experience?

I would say your experience is unique. You must drive a high number of hours at high risk times.

In 30 years of driving I have hit one deer. That was on I85 just before Old Peachtree.

I've never hit a deer. They're all over on my routine drives but I know where to slow down to give myself more reaction time. Or I think I do, at least. As long as I don't go anywhere new ever again I ought to be okay.

yoda-deer.png

Back
Top Bottom