• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Does anyone reload steel? I have some free to a good home...Some brass too

RdKill

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
97   0
Reaction score
I don't reload. I don't want to reload. I don't need another hobby and I don't want to blow myself up. That said, I do police what brass or steel lands on my deck and I separate brass from steel and put them in coffee cans. I have 2 nearly full large chock full of nuts cans, one with mixed brass (mostly .308, .40 and .45...and who knows what else? probably a little 9mm, .38 and .357 but not sure) The can full of steel is all .223 and 7.62x39. If anybody wants it. come get it. It doesn't all land on the deck. If you want to come use my metal detector and pick up what's out there, have at it.

If you want to shoot and make some more brass...possible I guess if I know you or can get a quick enough impression that you are a safety minded individual that doesn't get all excited and spin around. I do NOT like looking down other people's barrels. If that happens there's a good chance an ass will get kicked or shot depending on my mood at the time. Anyway? Free Brass and/or steel...or do I just throw the steel stuff away?

I'm not sure you can reload steel

It's possible, but it's more involved, and the steel doesn't typically last more than a couple of reloads before neck splitting. The painful issue is the Berdan primers. Special tools or a water-decapping setup to get the primers out (messy). I've done it, and I wouldn't do it again unless it was an emergency.

Freedom Munitions came out with brass plated, steel cases not too long ago, branded "American Steel." It's boxer primed, so, just for the fun of it, me and my buddy decided to see how many times we could reload the cases. We shot and reloaded a batch of 9mm cases about 8 or 9 times before some of the primer pockets started to get loose. I was surprised we got that far without any neck splits. The brass plating makes it work well in reloading dies.

It's possible, but it's more involved, and the steel doesn't typically last more than a couple of reloads before neck splitting. The painful issue is the Berdan primers. Special tools or a water-decapping setup to get the primers out (messy). I've done it, and I wouldn't do it again unless it was an emergency.

Freedom Munitions came out with brass plated, steel cases not too long ago, branded "American Steel." It's boxer primed, so, just for the fun of it, me and my buddy decided to see how many times we could reload the cases. We shot and reloaded a batch of 9mm cases about 8 or 9 times before some of the primer pockets started to get loose. I was surprised we got that far without any neck splits. The brass plating makes it work well in reloading dies.
Thanks...Everything here is once fired factory whatever. The steel would be Wolf or Tula...mostly Tula. Damn, I just admitted collusion didn't I? Oh well...

Back
Top Bottom