• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Does anyone still get access to hunt property by knocking on doors?

I call the number on every realtor's sign I see up for more than 3 months. Especially the ones that have trespassers. My offer is to keep them out and the trash picked up. I have two properties inside 285 to hunt now.

Never hunted in Georgia, but there were a few people we knew that let us hunt on there property. Dad told us it didn't matter if a 12 point Buck came along, if it was anywhere between you and the road/homes you don't shoot.
Sounds like some of you have some good methods of getting property owners to give you a chance. I bet it wouldn't be to hard to find some people that would let you hunt squirrel with an air rifle! People seemed to have a problem with them around here.

I use to do that with my Uncle when I was younger.

He would always bring a jar of jelly with a business card attached and whether they said yes or no, he would give them the jelly and the card and wish them a good day.

He never hurried off and would pass the time of day with them. He would talk about the crops or the rain or the lack of it. He would give them a chance to get to know him a little......

I remember knocking on some doors several years in a row.
Some never called, some called a few days later and some didn't call until the 2nd or 3rd year we visited.
And always he had a jelly jar fixed up pretty by his wife with a business card on it.

He would always say, you don't know the answer until you ask!

We ended up hunting a lot of property that way. :becky:
images (5).jpg

I've secured a few places in the past decade with a mere handshake. 2 of these places turned out to be very productive spots. I've always been respectful to the land and its owner and have even gone out of my way to do nice things for them to help them out. One such owner has gotten a few loads of firewood and some block work done at his church for free. Not to mention some free venison.
It's getting harder and harder to find such places now. Folks aren't as generous or as trusting as they were back then. The rest just simply don't care for hunting or don't like us killing "their" animals.

I've seen a few local places with good quality deer on or near them, but I don't know the property owners, I know years back it was nothing to knock on a door and ask permission to hunt their property but things have changed over the years. I thought about stopping in and knocking on doors and asking but didn't know if people frowned upon that now a days. I have my family's club but would like to find a spot in Gwinnett or walton to bow hunt during the week after work. I don't mind paying little money or splitting the meat if any of y'all have a spot you'd allow me to bow hunt on.

Use q public to find out the property owners name, address, & mailing address if vacant land.
qpublic.net/ga/walton

I've secured a few places in the past decade with a mere handshake. 2 of these places turned out to be very productive spots. I've always been respectful to the land and its owner and have even gone out of my way to do nice things for them to help them out. One such owner has gotten a few loads of firewood and some block work done at his church for free. Not to mention some free venison.
It's getting harder and harder to find such places now. Folks aren't as generous or as trusting as they were back then. The rest just simply don't care for hunting or don't like us killing "their" animals.

They aren't as trusting because of frivolous lawsuits. If folks don't know you, they may be a bit leery about allowing hunting privileges in case of injury or death. Its a shame that's where we are, but that's where we are...Some may agree if you sign a waiver of some sort, but that usually comes with a lease.

My uncle talked us into 1,000 acres 5 minutes from the house, but this was back in the 80's. We kept that land for almost 30 years, though, and made a lifetime of memories up there. We also made a great friend with the owner, who gave us free and total reign.

I just lucked up this past week and secured 2,500 acres within 30 minutes of the house. My cousin had much to do with it, but its locked in and now I have 3 exceptional tracts to hunt in 3 different regions of the state. They are all sanctuaries and something is going down!

Back
Top Bottom