• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Does Concealed Gun Give Cops Right to Search You?

It is fair to extrapolate what the framers would think because they framed our government. If I could travel back in time to 1800 and hand TJ an M60, he would wonder where it was 20 years before.

The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government. -Thomas Jefferson

Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes... Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man.” (Quoting Cesare Beccaria)- Thomas Jefferson

The Constitution preserves the advantage of being armed which Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation, where the Government are afraid to trust their people with arms. - John Adams

A militia, when properly formed, are in fact the people themselves. They include all men capable of bearing arms. To preserve liberty is essential that the whole body of people always possess arms and be taught alike how to use them. - Thomas Jefferson

The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it. - Thomas Jefferson

The policy of the American government is to leave their citizens free, neither restraining nor aiding them in their pursuits. - Tomas Jefferson

I ask, sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people. To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them. - Samuel Adams

The Constitution shall never be construed to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms. - Richard Henry Lee

Might want to fact check yourself....several of those quotes arent legit, FYI.
http://www.guncite.com/gc2ndbog.html

And as for when your asked for your permit why not just hand it over. It will save you a hassle and the officer. I mean really, these officers have to deal with a lot of jerks throughout the day, why be one of them. And if you do give them a hard time and make something super simple into something difficult, you will be remembered.
Yes, "giving" up our rights is easy BUT they are virtually impossible to regain.

You are correct...but that "request" can be followed by an "order" that should you refuse.... You get the idea.
Here we go with the "disobeying a legal order" citation. The catch all for when they really want to show you who is boss. Again, know your rights, know the law and have an attorney on retainer. Just because an officer wants to know something does not mean it's legal regardless of whether it would be easier or not.

The fact is I am the sweetest guy you will ever meet. I am not required, but declare a firearm when I am stopped by an LEO. I have nothing to fear by an officer of the law and try to make his life as easy as possible if he approaches my window. I don't fear him, but I want to make him feel as comfortable as possible on my stop. I don't care if he likes me, but I know he he will go on a thousand high pressure encounters after mine and for five minutes he should not need to worry about mine.

I don't, however, believe he should have the right to search me because he sees the pistol I keep under my shirt. We are governed by precedent and I believe spot checks on firearms is a precedent we don't want to make.

Last edited:
(No offense taken...however, I would argue that a "constitutional right" is nothing more than a government granted privilege. Your "rights" only exist because the government exists and creates an environment for them to do so. Notice that the 2nd amendment is not part of the "unalienable" rights referred to in the preface. Make no mistake, your CCW is a privilege granted to you by the government...if it was a right, anyone could do it...just like, voting, hunting, fishing, and marriage.)

Wow, Wasn't going to jump in but the above comment pushed me in.. (please understand this is not an attack on who wrote it...)

I gotta say I disagree, I'm not a lawer and I didn't sleep at a Holiday Inn Express last night. However, protecting my family, self and possesions is a "God" given right. The goverment was put in place by man to keep law and order and sometimes oversteps their bounds to keep stupid people from hurting others.

To the LEO. I will always present my CCL with my drivers license as I have the up most repect for you and the job you do. I do not want a situation to become dangerous when it doesn't have to. Also, if you ask me for it even if you suspect I'm printing I will not hassel you at all and will show it to you. Thanks to you and the military for the jobs you do!

As a group we need to understand the laws or those who believe it is a right will take it away from us. If that happens I will have to own/carry illegally which I do not want to do. Because in the end, I will protect my family and my self at all cost! Becasue it is not a privilge it's MY RIGHT AS A HUMAN BEING!

That's my .02 and I support this message....

Yes, "giving" up our rights is easy BUT they are virtually impossible to regain.

Here we go with the "disobeying a legal order" citation. The catch all for when they really want to show you who is boss. Again, know your rights, know the law and have an attorney on retainer. Just because an officer wants to know something does not mean it's legal regardless of whether it would be easier or not.

How is it giving up your right? We have the right to bear arms and to do so without any permits in any state, granted, it has been limited, some states more than others. Because of events in history there has been laws made as far as requirements to carry. For the time being these laws have to be followed. If your at home and an officer asks for your CCL, Yeah, they can go pound sand. But if I am walking down the road and my gun is remotely visable and I am asked for my CCL i would hand it over because the law states I must have one. I would expect to be asked. I dont see how following the law and/or providing information thats shows I am following the law is in any way giving up my right.

For being searched because I have a gun, now that I dont agree with. But, put youself in the officers shoes, He/she has to protect themself too. And they dont know if you are a criminal or not. Furthermore, on the side of safety to themself they have to assume you are until they feel otherwise.

You can't get too mad at the ones trying to uphold the laws or the ones making the laws (dont read into further than what I said, I know where some may take it), It's the criminals that are the ones that cause these laws to be made and just make things harder for the rest of us. (Actually the history of the carry laws in GA have nothing to do with crime And more to do with racism) but you should get my point.

Last edited:
How is it giving up your right? We have the right to bear arms and to do so without any permits in any state, granted, it has been limited, some states more than others. Because of events in history there has been laws made as far as requirements to carry. For the time being these laws have to be followed. If your at home and an officer asks for your CCL, Yeah, they can go pound sand. But if I am walking down the road and my gun is remotely visable and I am asked for my CCL i would hand it over because the law states I must have one. I would expect to be asked. I dont see how following the law and/or providing information thats shows I am following the law is in any way giving up my right.

For being searched because I have a gun, now that I dont agree with. But, put youself in the officers shoes, He/she has to protect themself too. And they dont know if you are a criminal or not. Furthermore, on the side of safety to themself they have to assume you are until they feel otherwise.

You can't get too mad at the ones trying to uphold the laws or the ones making the laws (dont read into further than what I said, I know where some may take it), It's the criminals that are the ones that cause these laws to be made and just make things harder for the rest of us. (Actually the history of the carry laws in GA have nothing to do with crime And more to do with racism) but you should get my point.

I get sick of all the BS about "Officer Safety". If they want to be safe, they don't need to be cops. If they choose to be cops, then they have no right to violate my rights for their "safety".

What part of "Shall Not Be Infringed" is too hard to understand?

I get sick of all the BS about "Officer Safety". If they want to be safe, they don't need to be cops. If they choose to be cops, then they have no right to violate my rights for their "safety".

What part of "Shall Not Be Infringed" is too hard to understand?

Yeah, and if they want to be safe they shouldn't be soldiers. And if they want to be safe they shouldn't be paramedics. And if they want to be safe they shouldn't work in any dangerous profession. Whatta crock. It's unbelieveable BS like this that some people shovel that is so disgusting and stupid. God forbid some wanna be anarchist be asked to actually show their permit. What a fascist world we live in.

Back
Top Bottom