• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Does Concealed Gun Give Cops Right to Search You?

What about the guy that can't afford a handgun, so openly carries his sks for protection? What kind of papers will you ask him for?

Yeah, and if they want to be safe they shouldn't be soldiers. And if they want to be safe they shouldn't be paramedics. And if they want to be safe they shouldn't work in any dangerous profession. Whatta crock. It's unbelieveable BS like this that some people shovel that is so disgusting and stupid. God forbid some wanna be anarchist be asked to actually show their permit. What a fascist world we live in.

Ah, but Paramedics and Soldiers are not violating American Citizens rights on a daily basis. And (in some cases) doing it with the courts permission.

Peoples rights are being lost and violated everyday under the guise of "Officer Safety".

And just because you don't agree with me, doesn't make me wrong.

What about the guy that can't afford a handgun, so openly carries his sks for protection? What kind of papers will you ask him for?

O.C.G.A. § 16-11-126
Having or carrying handguns, long guns, or other weapons; license requirement; exceptions for homes, motor vehicles, and other locations and conditions; penalties for violations......

(b) Any person who is not prohibited by law from possessing a handgun or long gun may have or carry on his or her person a long gun without a valid weapons carry license, provided that if the long gun is loaded, it shall only be carried in an open and fully exposed manner.

I should think that identification would be proper so that an officer could verify that the person has no known "prohibitions" from carrying. The law requires that you not be prohibited from possessing, so the officer would be within reason to ask ID so he could confirm it.

Ah, but Paramedics and Soldiers are not violating American Citizens rights on a daily basis. And (in some cases) doing it with the courts permission.

Peoples rights are being lost and violated everyday under the guise of "Officer Safety".

And just because you don't agree with me, doesn't make me wrong.

I, personally think it is wrong to climb up on some soap box about how everyone is out to violate our rights when MOST cops are trying to do a difficult job and maybe even survive it. While people are so busy screaming about the rights they think are being violated where is the grandstanding on the RESPONSIBILITY citizens have to support and facilitate the rule of law. I don't see showing my GWL as a violation. I see assisting a cop in his job as my responsibility as a part of the community. Why people can only see cops as the enemy is beyond me. People who see the enforcers of the law as enemies must be enemies of the law. Those people are wrong. If the shoe fits.....

I should think that identification would be proper so that an officer could verify that the person has no known "prohibitions" from carrying. The law requires that you not be prohibited from possessing, so the officer would be within reason to ask ID so he could confirm it.

I, personally think it is wrong to climb up on some soap box about how everyone is out to violate our rights when MOST cops are trying to do a difficult job and maybe even survive it. While people are so busy screaming about the rights they think are being violated where is the grandstanding on the RESPONSIBILITY citizens have to support and facilitate the rule of law. I don't see showing my GWL as a violation. I see assisting a cop in his job as my responsibility as a part of the community. Why people can only see cops as the enemy is beyond me. People who see the enforcers of the law as enemies must be enemies of the law. Those people are wrong. If the shoe fits.....

I'm not on a "soapbox". I'm on an open forum having a discussion with "friends". I do not think that it is my responsibility to Support laws I personally think are Unconstitutional.

No Where have I ever said I would not show my GWL. Being a law abiding Citizen, I have to. I don't have to like it though. I also don't give the LEO a hard time about it. No reason to and nothing good will come from it.

No where have I ever said I Consider LEO's as enemies. But I do think that we should be enemies of bad laws and voice our opinions of them whenever we can and do whatever we can to have them changed. Anyone who says otherwise is wrong. If the shoe fits...

How is it giving up your right? We have the right to bear arms and to do so without any permits in any state, granted, it has been limited, some states more than others. Because of events in history there has been laws made as far as requirements to carry. For the time being these laws have to be followed. If your at home and an officer asks for your CCL, Yeah, they can go pound sand. But if I am walking down the road and my gun is remotely visable and I am asked for my CCL i would hand it over because the law states I must have one. I would expect to be asked. I dont see how following the law and/or providing information thats shows I am following the law is in any way giving up my right.

Please show me the law where it states simply having a firearm and being seen by an officer requires you to show them you CCL. I don't believe there is such a law. You can't simply make stuff up blakejohn because it makes you feel good.

For being searched because I have a gun, now that I dont agree with. But, put youself in the officers shoes, He/she has to protect themself too. And they dont know if you are a criminal or not. Furthermore, on the side of safety to themself they have to assume you are until they feel otherwise.

ah ha, the old "guilty until proven innocent arguement" I love it. Sir, you are simply wrong. A gun owner who prints is not automatically a criminal.

You can't get too mad at the ones trying to uphold the laws or the ones making the laws (dont read into further than what I said, I know where some may take it), It's the criminals that are the ones that cause these laws to be made and just make things harder for the rest of us. (Actually the history of the carry laws in GA have nothing to do with crime And more to do with racism) but you should get my point.
I wish you wouldn't get mad when a citizen who does not present "reasonable suspicion" stands up for himself when asked to submit to an illegal search. Again, show me the law where every gun owner who shows a firearm is asked for "papers please". It's not there.

I'm not on a "soapbox". I'm on an open forum having a discussion with "friends". I do not think that it is my responsibility to Support laws I personally think are Unconstitutional.

Support? No...OBEY? Yes.

No Where have I ever said I would not show my GWL. Being a law abiding Citizen, I have to. I don't have to like it though. I also don't give the LEO a hard time about it. No reason to and nothing good will come from it.

Ain't THAT the truth.

No where have I ever said I Consider LEO's as enemies. But I do think that we should be enemies of bad laws and voice our opinions of them whenever we can and do whatever we can to have them changed. Anyone who says otherwise is wrong. If the shoe fits...

Agreed...so which part of cooperating when LEO asks for your GWL are we on opposite sides of? Oh yeah. It was your contention that officers violate your rights to ensure their safety. Since no one has advocated violating anyones rights, but rather that the officers have the right to verify the legality of the armed subject AND that LEO has every right to make it home alive. I have stated that, in my opinion, the screaming about rights violations is MOSTLY just grandstanding and soap box preaching, when a responsible citizen would be more concerned with being proactive and facilitating the rule of law.

My take is: obey the law, Don't blame the cop for the law(you know - don't shoot the messenger) and if you truly disagree with the law, utilize the built in freedoms to fight for change in the laws. We have advocacy groups, NRA, GCO, Ga Packing, SAF, etc... You can also write to any of several politicians. The LEAST effective means of seeking to change laws is to come here and blast cops for trying to enforce the laws, protect the public and still manage to survive the day. And to spit in their faces with that

I get sick of all the BS about "Officer Safety". If they want to be safe, they don't need to be cops. If they choose to be cops, then they have no right to violate my rights for their "safety".

Well, if that isn't calculated to be insulting and it's just the way you feel then, again in my opinion, yes you are wrong. I just don't know if it's wrong-headed, wrong-hearted or just basing your statement off of mis-information or lack of information. Having the courage to put yourself in danger for the good of others does not mean that you don't still have the natural inclination to be as safe as is relatively possible.

Again, it depends on the situation. "Papers please" without reasonable suspicion is not lawful. I simply wish people would admit it. But they get upset when someone says it's not lawful. This is a result of 9 out of 10 people willingly submitting to said search without "reasonable suspicion" BECAUSE they understand the difficulty of the job and WANT to help the LEO. ALL I ask is that people admit the truth.

I get fairly vocal about this. I understand how the real works and I understand what the law is. They don't always agree. I don't see where questioning an unlawful search is called "grandstanding". MOST people show their GWL voluntarily because they understand the LEO's pressure, HOWEVER that does not make it legal. Who do LEO who encounter citizens with firearms see them as enemies of the law? Those LEO are/can be wrong. If the shoe fits.....

All felons who own firearms are criminals, HOWEVER all firearms owners are not criminals.

Agreed...so which part of cooperating when LEO asks for your GWL are we on opposite sides of? Oh yeah. It was your contention that officers violate your rights to ensure their safety. Since no one has advocated violating anyones rights, but rather that the officers have the right to verify the legality of the armed subject AND that LEO has every right to make it home alive. I have stated that, in my opinion, the screaming about rights violations is MOSTLY just grandstanding and soap box preaching, when a responsible citizen would be more concerned with being proactive and facilitating the rule of law.

If a cop stops you, you give him your GWL, and he disarms you, how is that NOT violating your rights? If a cop stops you when you have violated NO laws, how is that NOT violating your rights?

My take is: obey the law, Don't blame the cop for the law(you know - don't shoot the messenger) and if you truly disagree with the law, utilize the built in freedoms to fight for change in the laws. We have advocacy groups, NRA, GCO, Ga Packing, SAF, etc... You can also write to any of several politicians. The LEAST effective means of seeking to change laws is to come here and blast cops for trying to enforce the laws, protect the public and still manage to survive the day. And to spit in their faces with that

What is the point of this forum, then? I can do all that AND post here, too, right? And If you read my post, that you quoted, you would have seen that I said this;
No where have I ever said I Consider LEO's as enemies. But I do think that we should be enemies of bad laws and voice our opinions of them whenever we can and do whatever we can to have them changed.

Well, if that isn't calculated to be insulting and it's just the way you feel then, again in my opinion, yes you are wrong. I just don't know if it's wrong-headed, wrong-hearted or just basing your statement off of mis-information or lack of information. Having the courage to put yourself in danger for the good of others does not mean that you don't still have the natural inclination to be as safe as is relatively possible.

I'd agree with you, but then I'd be wrong, too.

Again, it depends on the situation. "Papers please" without reasonable suspicion is not lawful. I simply wish people would admit it. But they get upset when someone says it's not lawful. This is a result of 9 out of 10 people willingly submitting to said search without "reasonable suspicion" BECAUSE they understand the difficulty of the job and WANT to help the LEO. ALL I ask is that people admit the truth.

I get fairly vocal about this. I understand how the real works and I understand what the law is. They don't always agree. I don't see where questioning an unlawful search is called "grandstanding". MOST people show their GWL voluntarily because they understand the LEO's pressure, HOWEVER that does not make it legal. Who do LEO who encounter citizens with firearms see them as enemies of the law? Those LEO are/can be wrong. If the shoe fits.....

All felons who own firearms are criminals, HOWEVER all firearms owners are not criminals.

Every time you say "papers please" I, and I am sure every one else here, knows what game you are playing and who you are trying to bring to mind. As a result, your arguments and every post you make are just trash. Keep playing that game, your words are instantly meaningless as long as you do.

Guys & girls, I challenge you to put forth as much energy and thought as I see in this thread in letters & e-mails to your elected law makers. Also at the voting booth. The law makers are where the changes have to come from. When dealing with a law enforcer, remember we have discretion. Show me you are a good guy and I assure you my discretion will be in your favor. Believe me, nobody knows better than a LEO the need for individual protection in today's world. The thought of unarmed citizens in some neighborhoods I know scares the hell out of me. But, irresponsible armed citizens scare me too. I will not blow sunshine at you and tell you there aren't a few LEOs out there on a power trip. Most of those don't last long enough in the job to make it a career. When you deal with a LEO remember you're dealing with an individual not a robot from a cookie cutter. Most are really good and selfless people who would risk themselves to protect your families from the thugs of the world. I assure you that there is not one of you any more pro 2nd Ammendment than I. If you and I have contact show me you're a good guy and my discretion will reflect that.

Back
Top Bottom