• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Does parting out AR15s sell better?

CherryCola

Default rank <3000 posts Supporter
ODT Junkie!
16   0
Reaction score
I’m thinking about taking the time to remove all of the accessories and optics from my ARs and sell them barebones for cheap and sell the accessories and optics separately. I still have a bunch of plastic handguards and such I can slap on and may even sell the uppers separately.

Has anyone else have any luck selling their ARs parted out instead as a whole package?

Yep. Especially the higher end stuff. I always try to sell with optics etc. but it rarely plays out. The first question I usually get is “what would you take just for the rifle?”. This has just been my experience over the years.

Depends on what the accessories are. There are good reasons why different people have their own favorite optics, and so parting those out makes a fair amount of sense.

If you have BUIS on the AR, personally, I'd leave those as part of the sale. Lights? They're like optics - very much a matter of preference - and a lot of people won't feel like paying another $100 for a light that they'll be taking off and sitting in a box.

Yep. Especially the higher end stuff. I always try to sell with optics etc. but it rarely plays out. The first question I usually get is “what would you take just for the rifle?”. This has just been my experience over the years.
I’m also realizing people often only look at the brand of the upper and lower and don’t really consider the entire package worth. Oh that’s an Anderson lower, that can’t be more than a $500 rifle.

Yes by all means if you self build. Some people have a phobia about self builds. I use all fairly expensive parts. What I would get from a sale would be horrid. That's mainly because of half ignorance and half of it is the possibility of sloppy build technique from somebody that doesn't use proper procedure. So if you use really good parts then definitely part out. However don't think those parts are going to fetch anywhere near what you paid for them. They are used, second hand parts that people have no idea of round count so price accordingly.

Yes by all means if you self build. Some people have a phobia about self builds. I use all fairly expensive parts. What I would get from a sale would be horrid. That's mainly because of half ignorance and half of it is the possibility of sloppy build technique from somebody that doesn't use proper procedure. So if you use really good parts then definitely part out. However don't think those parts are going to fetch anywhere near what you paid for them. They are used, second hand parts that people have no idea of round count so price accordingly.
Yeah definitely, but doing the math even if I give a "Deal of the Day" type price on every part, I think I would still be able to sell it more than the entire AR15 itself.

Thank you guys for confirming what I think will be the best way to do this.

Time to get busy removing my ads, taking **** apart, and taking inventory of it all.

On the other hand it means you'll have a TON more time and effort into selling it all.

If you have the time and inclination it's probably the best route.

But for me I'd rather make one transaction, recover less money, and be done with it and move onto the next thing.

Good luck!

On the other hand it means you'll have a TON more time and effort into selling it all.

If you have the time and inclination it's probably the best route.

But for me I'd rather make one transaction, recover less money, and be done with it and move onto the next thing.

Good luck!
Now that I’m older, AR15s don’t appeal to me. I would rather have one really nice big bore bolt action over 3 mid grade ARs.

I have a ton of stuff to sell off. Optics, ammo, and other accessories that I collected over the last 10+ years of owning an AR. It was going to be a long process to begin with.

Yeah definitely, but doing the math even if I give a "Deal of the Day" type price on every part, I think I would still be able to sell it more than the entire AR15 itself.

Thank you guys for confirming what I think will be the best way to do this.

Time to get busy removing my ads, taking **** apart, and taking inventory of it all.
Excellent! I hope you make out good. I wouldn't price it bare bones right off the bat. Make it a good price but make them work for that 10, 15 or 20 bucks off. LOL

Back
Top Bottom