• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Does the timing of this seem odd to anyone else?

ShawnZR-1

Default rank <3000 posts Lifetime Supporter
ODT Junkie!
37   0
Reaction score
https://www.govtrack.us/congress/votes/115-2018/h106

After February’s Parkland high school massacre, a Republican bill introduced mere weeks before is now gaining significant traction — including the Democratic representative from Parkland. It just passed the House.

What the bill does
The Student, Teachers, and Officers Preventing (STOP) School Violence Actwould appropriate $50 million per year for:

• Schools to develop “threat assessment systems” in line with recommendations from the FBI and Secret Services, in hopes of stopping such would-be killers before they commit acts of violence.
  • Anonymous reporting systems to be implemented for use by students, teachers, or others to contact law enforcement about potential threats.
  • Improving school security through the use of technologies and increased personnel.
  • None of the money in the bill would be used to arm teachers, the most controversial gun-related provision proposed in the wake of the shooting, one endorsed by President Trump.
The House bill was introduced by Rep. John Rutherford (R-FL4) in late January, about two weeks before the Parkland high school shooting in Rutherford’s home state. It did not take place in his home district, located in northeastern Florida bordering Georgia, hundreds of miles from the southern part of the state where the massacre occurred.

I think the anonymous system is definitely the only way to get an inside ear among a student body; allowing someone to report anyone threatening to do something terrible to a school.

But to play the Devil's Advocate, I feel that a lot of lives are going to be ruined for life due to false reports. As pranks or simply passive aggressive behavior among students. And a lot of false reports are going to do nothing more than clog up the system and effectively make it useless. The only thing I can think of that would prevent this would be a penalty against false acquisitions. But to be my own Devil's Advocate, this could cause students to be too afraid of reporting someone; making the system useless. No one would want to report anything.

It's really a hard topic to figure out a solution for. I will say that seeing the security guard in Maryland neutralizing the threat was great to see. Ain't it grand when someone does their job? I'm all about more required security in schools and more focus on turning out emotionally healthy individuals from our schools -- no politics involved. We need to put an end to schools only farming children and test scores for more money from the State.

I think the anonymous system is definitely the only way to get an inside ear among a student body; allowing someone to report anyone threatening to do something terrible to a school.

But to play the Devil's Advocate, I feel that a lot of lives are going to be ruined for life due to false reports. As pranks or simply passive aggressive behavior among students. And a lot of false reports are going to do nothing more than clog up the system and effectively make it useless. The only thing I can think of that would prevent this would be a penalty against false acquisitions. But to be my own D.A., this could cause students to be too afraid of reporter someone and then no report would be made; making the system useless. It's really a hard topic to figure out a solution for. I will say that seeing the security guard in Maryland neutralizing the threat was great to see. Ain't it grand when someone does their job? I'm all about more required security in schools and more focus on turning out emotionally healthy individuals from our schools -- no politics involved.
Exactly!!!

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom