• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Does your bug out set up include?

Nothing if you live in 2003.

They worked in 03 and they work now I still don’t understand what’s wrong with them.

I've read that whole weiner measuring debate of JuSt aS gErD vs sToP bEiNg PoOr

And can say with no bias, that somehow you are both wrong :wink:

"Used previously by the military" I thought we all agreed on that whole "lowest bidder" thing, but that aside- just because it WAS used in the past doesn't mean it's STILL comparable to something newer. The Garand was a phenomenal weapon and did a fantastic job at the task it was given at the time. But no sensible person would choose it over a detachable magazine fed rifle of any notoriety nowadays.

"Used currently by elite units" What can of mall ninja argument is that? Yes, certain units get to choose their own tools and equipment, but that isn't a debate point that stands on it's own. Mainly due to the fact that opinions will still differ within said unit. At one point there was one dude running a G19 and another running a M45A1 within the same CAG team. Kinda rocks the validity of that argument when the two most hotly debated pistols are doing the same job at the same time effectively. Whether or not one would do better in an unlikely hypothetical is irrelevant.

Hating on the poors is funny but that is clearly not where that joke ended. The obvious connotation of, "why would you own an inferior weapon when you could own one of the best" is such a pompous douche mentality. Ideally we would all own the absolute highest tier most amazing tool in the universe for any eventuality. But in the real world that isn't feasible for most normal people.

And although Germans with mp40s, STGs, Kar98s and Gewehrs were killed by Russians with a Mosin (yes I know the Russians also had other guns, but it was mainly Mosins), and Rob Leatham can use a revolver and outshoot all of us using mag-fed pistols in a competition, is not a solid argument in defense of arguably inferior firearm options.

Short version of both of your arguments, "If a 700 is all you can get or all you got, make sure you have plenty of skill with it to make it do the best job it can, cause it can get a lot of jobs done. But if possible, get something even better to get even more out of your performance."

Back on topic though, it sounds like most folks are thinking of more of a bushcraft bag. To Bugout typically means to go from a place that is not ideal, to a place that is more ideal.

So for one, A bugout setup needs to have a destination. Because if you flee with no destination in mind, you are essentially just a refugee.....

And to just bugout "into the woods" with no spot picked out or without supplies stashed in advance, you don't need a bugout bag, you need a bushcraft trailer being pulled behind.

Some have already made mention of much harder it is to survive long-term off the land than most people realize. Skill-set must be massive and razor sharp, and even then, some bad-luck is all it takes for it to be a fatal event.

When Jim Bridger went into the mountains he had a mule train of supplies to keep him and his team alive. And his odds of making it off of skill and knowledge was a whole lot better than most of ours.

Despite the knowledge, skill, supplies, and tools I have, I make no delusion to assert that I would definitively make it in that situation. I would certainly not give up until I'm beaten, but until that day, which I hopes doesn't have to come, I wouldn't fold my arms and feel comfortable at my current state of preparedness, ever.

Because no one, not even the best survivalists in the world felt they were as prepared as they needed to be when their abilities were put to the test.

Back on topic though, it sounds like most folks are thinking of more of a bushcraft bag. To Bugout typically means to go from a place that is not ideal, to a place that is more ideal.

So for one, A bugout setup needs to have a destination. Because if you flee with no destination in mind, you are essentially just a refugee.....

And to just bugout "into the woods" with no spot picked out or without supplies stashed in advance, you don't need a bugout bag, you need a bushcraft trailer being pulled behind.

Some have already made mention of much harder it is to survive long-term off the land than most people realize. Skill-set must be massive and razor sharp, and even then, some bad-luck is all it takes for it to be a fatal event.

When Jim Bridger went into the mountains he had a mule train of supplies to keep him and his team alive. And his odds of making it off of skill and knowledge was a whole lot better than most of ours.

Despite the knowledge, skill, supplies, and tools I have, I make no delusion to assert that I would definitively make it in that situation. I would certainly not give up until I'm beaten, but until that day, which I hopes doesn't have to come, I wouldn't fold my arms and feel comfortable at my current state of preparedness, ever.

Because no one, not even the best survivalists in the world felt they were as prepared as they needed to be when their abilities were put to the test.
Tru dat!

I concur.
In spite of all his skills and knowledge, Jim Bridger is still dead.

Back
Top Bottom