• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Does your bug out set up include?

At age 83, 1999, he left his cabin and went and lived with his brother in Calf. He donated his cabin to the park service. They said he could come visit anytime he wanted. Proenneke left his cabin completely intact as he lived there including leaving his 44 Ruger Blackhawk hanging in it's holster in the cabin. He never returned. He died of a stroke in April 2003 aged 86.
Cool story.

After years of thinking about it and I have property I could bug out to 2 plus hours from Atlanta. I've decided thay I would stick it out at my home in Atlanta area. Everything I need to survive is at my home. Very few things are at my camp. My family and friends are close by at home. All my tools and gear and food storage are at home, all my guns and ammo etc. Not to mention during a real shtf event I doubt I would make it alive to the camp along with my kids and grandkids.
Now if it's a slow grind down and there's time to get out safely I might do it. But it doubtful I would have that kind of time. Basically If you live near a major city and have a large family your stuck there. I hope I go in flash of light and not over years or deprivation.

After years of thinking about it and I have property I could bug out to 2 plus hours from Atlanta. I've decided thay I would stick it out at my home in Atlanta area. Everything I need to survive is at my home. Very few things are at my camp. My family and friends are close by at home. All my tools and gear and food storage are at home, all my guns and ammo etc. Not to mention during a real shtf event I doubt I would make it alive to the camp along with my kids and grandkids.
Now if it's a slow grind down and there's time to get out safely I might do it. But it doubtful I would have that kind of time. Basically If you live near a major city and have a large family your stuck there. I hope I go in flash of light and not over years or deprivation.

I appreciate seeing someone else actually view it realistically. And not as if they're John J Rambo or Mad Max, eagerly emerging from the apocalypse in leather pants and an M60.

Tearing into who's woods? Tearing into someone's property will get you shot at... easily.
It's State land that butts up against National Wildlife Management land. I don't plan on being alone either. It's four wheel drive terrain as well so it's more tearing ass to get there and slow accent into the mountainous logging roads. Some how I don't think we are going to worry about but it brings on good exchange of ideas.

What if you're not home and SHTF? Do you have gear to get you home? Or an alternate location that's closer?

Home is the safe bet, until it's not. Having a bugout kit prepared doesn't just include WW3 situations; what about if a massive storm hits? What if all the power is knocked out for days? What if there's (God forbid) a shooting at your kids' school or spouses job? Are you prepared for that?

What if you're not home and SHTF? Do you have gear to get you home? Or an alternate location that's closer?

Home is the safe bet, until it's not. Having a bugout kit prepared doesn't just include WW3 situations; what about if a massive storm hits? What if all the power is knocked out for days? What if there's (God forbid) a shooting at your kids' school or spouses job? Are you prepared for that?
I am.

I have family that has hundreds of Acres up in the mountain and then I've got friends with hundreds of Acres just south of me so I don't really go anywhere a lot but I do have options other than just that one. I mean if the crap is going to hit it's not going to hit the fan instantaneously it's going to take a time for it to get around to this little Town up in the mountains. But I've got to go back ready to go and I've got food storage that's ready to be packed up very quickly. I'm not as ready as I could be but I don't think we have to worry about that for a while. However, you never know what's going to happen so just hope for the best prepare for the worst. The bast you can obviously.

Back
Top Bottom