• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Dog allergies and raw dog food.

Fatal_Bert

Default rank 5000+ posts Supporter
They/them forklift certified
179   0
Reaction score
Just thought I would share my experience which might help others who have a dog suffering with allergies. I got a new dog who was a little over a year old back last March. It had been 3 years since fatalbert died so I was long over due a new best friend.

Thor, my new dog, developed some pretty severe skin allergy problems not long after I got him. Vet said it was grass allergies and gave him shots and meds but these only treated the systems and not much either. I tried several different grain free and fancy dog foods and shampoos, nothing seemed to help.

After hearing about how a raw diet helped other dogs with allergies I said screw it, I'll give it a shot. It's been 100% successful for me. He went from having flakey dry skin, crusty ears and toes to back to being absolutely beautiful again.

Not only only did it fix the allergies there's a ton of benefits to feeding raw for your dogs overall health. Down side it's expensive and takes some prep time. Unless you buy premade then it's just really expensive. Doing it yourself is expensive, but cheaper than vet bills + a decent kibble.

You can't just throw raw meat at them though, there are guidelines to follow. There's two models that are mainstream I guess you'd say. PMR (Prey model Raw) and BARF (biological appropriate raw food). If you're interested I suggest you research these two and see which one you prefer. There's not much difference between the two to be honest.

I went with the PMR model, and in short you feed them 80% muscle meat, 10% bone, 5% liver, and 5% other secreting organs. Basically your mimicking them eating an entire prey animal. There's more too it than that and organ meats are extremely important to having a balanced diet.

Here's a guide I used that has been extremely helpful. If you have any questions feel free to ask me.

https://www.rawfeedingadviceandsupport.com/

Thor before raw
received_457629494994734.jpeg
received_371385856823700.jpeg
received_455089561934657.jpeg

Thor now.
IMG_20191027_191527.jpg
IMG_20191107_213511.jpg

Glad to see your dog is doing well. My daughter has his twin (also named Thor) and she has had a time with his allergies. It seems as if those allergies are common to that breed and color. She has had to give her dog monthly shots and weekly baths.. so far that has worked for her. I will let her know about the diet.

I have an oreo colored one, and he is healthy as a horse

Back
Top Bottom