• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Dog bit by hog

Was scouting WMA today that also has hogs. Dog was off the leash and when we got down in a bottom... she gone! We ran into about a dozen hogs. Shot a shote in all the fuss but dang dog was gone for twenty minutes. Came back pretty beaten up. She’s not a fighter... thinks everything is her friend and learned a valuable lesson today. Does anyone have experience with their dog getting tangled up with hogs? I cleaned her up and don’t think any bites punctured, but I’m still a little nervous.
Poor puppy.

Honestly I'm failing to see what the issue is. That little piglet musta done it because it looks like some abrasions. My dogs look worse than that after running through some briars.

Put some hydro perox on it, and tomorrow if it still bothers you, go buy some Hibiclens.

And if you think your dog is gonna be around real hogs, invest in a cut vest.

Listen pal... this is a very condensed version of events and all the details are not important (such as dog was off leash go cross a downed tree and creek) but more than anything I was seeing if this community of like minded people had ever had an experience such as mine. I’m a thick skinned fella and can take constructive criticism and hope you’re similar when I say... maybe the way you’ve chosen to talk to a stranger on the internet is a direct reflection of who you are as a person and the actual feedback you provided carried no value and was only written to puff out your internet chest. Hope your day is as pleasant as you are
O.K. I'll apologize for shooting from the hip, but my motivation comes from being a dog owner/lover that has learned that our four footed friends sometimes need us to help keep them safe. In another life I used to hunt with "pig dogs" - usually a "tracker" and two "holders" but these dogs were trained to hunt and hold pigs. Even so, we carried a sack needle and twine for the times when a boar would get the best of one or more of the dogs and we had to stitch them up before coming out of the bush.

If you are in the woods with a dog that is more of a family pet than a trained hunter then you need to be aware that he/she will act instinctively in the presence of other animals, and the outcome of that will not always be pleasant. Sorry to hear about your dog and the hogs, and hope that no real harm has been done.

By the way, the "details" are important.

O.K. I'll apologize for shooting from the hip, but my motivation comes from being a dog owner/lover that has learned that our four footed friends sometimes need us to help keep them safe. In another life I used to hunt with "pig dogs" - usually a "tracker" and two "holders" but these dogs were trained to hunt and hold pigs. Even so, we carried a sack needle and twine for the times when a boar would get the best of one or more of the dogs and we had to stitch them up before coming out of the bush.

If you are in the woods with a dog that is more of a family pet than a trained hunter then you need to be aware that he/she will act instinctively in the presence of other animals, and the outcome of that will not always be pleasant. Sorry to hear about your dog and the hogs, and hope that no real harm has been done.

By the way, the "details" are important.

Thanks. She’s almost always on the leash when we’re on property with hogs. Only time she’s not is when traveling thick or rough terrain that doesn’t allow it. She stays close... unless of course instincts kick in. Also a dog lover, hence asking for some advice. We did put peroxide on all areas of concern and there was no reaction, indicating no bacteria. We also have her a chewy dog pain pill from a previous incident involving splintering a stick by chewing. Thanks again.

I would say vet and give her antibiotics. I wouldn't worry about there being punctures but more of the nastiness hogs carry, that's just me. Hogs ain't no joke, most guys that hunt hogs with dogs dont name their dogs for a reason.

I'm not saying that having her with you or off leash was wrong at all by that statement. Mine walks around outside with me off the leash all time too. Hopefully shes alright!

When my hunting dogs get banged up, I like to use a betadine scrub on the affected areas. I started using this when I was doing a bunch of trail riding. Horses tend to get scrapes and cuts when back in the woods.

For wounds and raw areas, I use vetericyn, after cleaning them up.

When my hunting dogs get banged up, I like to use a betadine scrub on the affected areas. I started using this when I was doing a bunch of trail riding. Horses tend to get scrapes and cuts when back in the woods.

For wounds and raw areas, I use vetericyn, after cleaning them up.

excellent. Thank you very much.

Honestly I'm failing to see what the issue is. That little piglet musta done it because it looks like some abrasions. My dogs look worse than that after running through some briars.

Put some hydro perox on it, and tomorrow if it still bothers you, go buy some Hibiclens.

And if you think your dog is gonna be around real hogs, invest in a cut vest.

yep a piglet... if it was a grown hog, the dog wouldn't have survived. I have seen domestic hogs crush a metal round tube fence gate by biting it. They can crush every bone in a dogs leg in seconds with a bite.

You and your dog were lucky today

Glad your dog made it back okay.
Yeah I always get nervous when my dog runs off cause you want to give them a little freedom to be a dog sometimes.
Many times they come back with trouble.
Once my female shepherd came out of the woods with her front leg shooting arterial spray with each heartbeat ....my Wife got hysterical .
I figured she hit some barbed wire somewhere and luckily I had a bandana on and clenched it off and didn’t say a word the whole time to try to calm my wife down and just let her watch and learn.
Took her to the vet and they cauterized it....she was fine and didn’t lose enough blood ....must have just happened.

I’ve got a few more farm dog stories but this is your thread and I’ve already jacked it....sorry.

Back
Top Bottom