• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Dollar General - true story about a real life experience

gh1950

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
105   0
Reaction score
Even though this is absolutely a true story, it just has to go in to "Stupid Stuff".

Sunday, Mother's Day, I'm puttering around the yard/garden, and I find that I need something that I know DG has. There's one about 2 miles from my house either way I go.

I go to my "regular" DG. It's been recently remodeled so everything is shifter around. The sliding doors are locked OPEN and the A/C is going full blast. I'm thinking "must be nice" - I haven't turned my A/C on.

I start looking for my stuff, which has been moved. Of course, half the aisles are blocked with boxes. I can't find what I want, but I'm in no big hurry, so I go up and down every aisle, which is something of a chore, given the blocked aisles.

I make a couple of circuits around the store, can't find what I want, and I break down and do something no manly man wants to do - asks for directions.

So started looking for an employee.

THERE WAS NOT A SINGLE EMPLOYEE IN THE STORE. DOORS WIDE OPEN, LIGHTS ON, A/C BLASTING AWAY - NOT A SINGLE EMPLOYEE

I make another circuit through the store, and confirm, not one employee. I know there was one when I went in, and I think that I hear voices in the storage room, but not sure, but there is no employee in the retail area of the store.

Now this is where it gets a little bizarre. There is a steady stream of people in and out of the store, and they just keep coming on. One of the renovations was installation of two self pay stations, and people are getting their stuff, going to self pay depending on how they want to pay, the machine talks to them, they pay, they leave.

I finally find my items. I hate self pay more than original sin, but other than walk out, what am I going to do. I go to the machine that takes cash, my purchase is less than $5, I whip out a fiver, get my change and leave. I have been in the store about 20 minutes. I sit in my car another 10 minutes, just amazed, it all continues - people walk in, ostensibly pay for stuff, and leave. I didn't read in the police blotter that the store had been looted, but I wouldn't have been surprised.

Wow. I drive by one of the 5 DGs in the area and for several days, I saw most of the store's merchandise out in the parking lot, a lot of trucks parked at all angles in between racks of goods. (No rain clouds looming, fortunately!) I'll have to stop in and see if this store was rearranged and 'upgraded'.

My Daughter worked there for a while District Management Knows but does not care. The less they spend on each store including employee pay puts money in there pocket does not care about employees what so ever!

Lmao Saturday was the first time I went in a DG in at least a year and I observed the same thing. Voices could be heard but I only saw customers waiting in line to pay.
My total was $1.06 and machine wouldn't accept cash so I had to debit that amount!

Back
Top Bottom