• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Donald J. Trump on the Right to Keep and Bear Arms

I hope he sticks to his word. He wrote a book in 2000 stating that he fully supported an assault weapons ban. I understand that LOTS of thing have changed since then, but I still have a hard time putting much faith in most politicians. We will soon see how everything plays out.

I hope he sticks to his word. He wrote a book in 2000 stating that he fully supported an assault weapons ban. I understand that LOTS of thing have changed since then, but I still have a hard time putting much faith in most politicians. We will soon see how everything plays out.
How does that song go??

"When a president goes through the White House door, and does what he says he'll do, We'll all be drinkin' that free Bubble-up, and eatin' that Rainbow Stew."

I think we gun owners and 2nd Amend. advocates NEED to get in touch with Trump, or his people tasked with evaluating gun control / gun rights issues.
We need to tell Trump that we expect some roll back of the burdensome, stupid, unproductive, and probably unconstitutional restrictions on gun ownership, carry, and use.

According to Trump's own website, here's a list of over 60 people that Trump has named to be part of Second Amendment Coalition to recommend gun policy and positions for the Trump Administration.

SECOND AMENDMENT COALITION
Chairman Donald J. Trump, Jr.
Chairman Christopher Cox
Co-Chairs:

The Honorable Jim Gilmore
U.S. Rep. Rob Bishop
U.S. Rep. Tom Emmer
U.S. Rep. Richard Hudson
U.S. Rep. Blaine Luetkemeyer
U.S. Rep. Tom McClintock
U.S. Rep. Steve Scalise

Ron Adams
Thomas Alibrando
Paul Babaz
Diane Bahnson
Ronnie Barrett [gun manfacturer head, and NRA Board member]
B. Dan Berger
John Boch
Eli Bremer
Dave Butz [an NRA Board member]
Bob Callan
Bill Chapman
Richard Childress [NRA Board member]
Allan Cors [NRA's current President]
Marty Daniel
Carrie-Lee Early
Kelli A. Emerick
Daniel Fabricant, Ph.D.
Dennis Feldpusch
Casey Flack
Alex Flint
John Green
Matthew Haller
Donna Head
Antonio Hernandez
Graham Hill [NRA Board member]
Kevin Hogan
Susan Howard [NRA Board member]
Jesse James
Larsen Jensen
Brad Johnson
Michael Kassnar
Doug Koenig
George Kollitides [NRA Nominating Committee member]
Willis Lee
Brian V. McCormack
James B. "Jay" McDonald, III Esq.
Wally McLallen
Carolyn Meadows
Dale A. Miller
Craig Morgan
Don Peay
Judson W. Phillips
Kim Rhode
Barbara Rumpel
Michelle Scott, Esq.
Reinhard Seipp
Christopher Shields
Kevin "Kip" Talley
James W. Tobin, III
Rob Unkovic
Theresa Vail
Daniel Volkmuth
Joshua Waldron
Linda Walker [NRA Board member]
Tom Yackley

Does anybody here on ODT have a connection to any of these people? Know them as friends or acquaintances? Corresponded with any of them in the last few years? Been longtime " friends" on social media, or followers of their "Tweets" or whatever?

I think we should get in touch with some of these people and ask them to push for some specific reforms, such as:

1.) National reciprocity / right to carry in other states while engaging in interstate travel for business or pleasure.
2.) Better define who is mentally unfit for firearms ownership, and make "danger to self or others" a necessary finding before a person loses his or her gun rights. Also create a process to get those gun rights back when the person's emotional crisis is over and has been sucessfully treated for years without any issues.
3.) Take SBR's and AOW's that are based on fore-grips on pistols OUT of the N.F.A. Regulate them just like handguns, and no more.
4.) Remove silencers from the NFA, or at least streamline the process for registering them and reduce the tax stamp to $5.
5.) Clarify various federal laws on "explosives" or "fireworks" to say that NOTHING in those regulations can apply to small arms ammunition or components of such ammunition, unless the Gov't can prove that the person possessing those things intends to use them for purposes other than to make small arms ammunition.
6.) Eliminate all "sporting purpose" tests for gun ownership, importation, etc. Instead, the test should be "Is the gun suitable for any legitimate purpose, including hunting, target shooting, collecting, personal defense, or homeland defense / unorganized militia use?"
7.) Eliminate all federal "gun free zones" except federal facilities that have secure, effective screening for weapons. At such places, allow lawfully-armed citizens to secure their weapons in lockers at the entrance. No federal building or facility that does not have armed guards and metal detectors to stop bad guys from bringing in guns shall have any rule or policy against good citizens bringing in guns for their personal protection and security.

Back
Top Bottom