• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Done with Nissan….need ODT car buying advice

Status
Not open for further replies.
I spoke with a dealer about building one custom and having it delivered. They said the dealerships are getting allocated trucks ever few weeks, and the factory isn't doing custom orders at this time. Most of the trucks are pre-sold when they hit the lot.
If you know what you want you can buy it before it hits the lot. As long as a dealer has an allocated truck they will pull a report daily in commerce at the distribution center and go put a predilection sticker on it. It gets pushed up for any accessories and prepped for pickup quicker. I worked for them for several years and all Toyota vehicles go through either commerce or Jacksonville dl that are sold in dl, ga, sc,Nc, al. Then I was there dealer stock for new models sitting on the lots was around 30,000 . In oct it was 1800. I agree with jeddak, the 4cyl is underpowered. If you can afford the 4wd it’s the way to go but I personally wouldn’t take a 40k truck anywhere that requires 4wd. I don’t make that kinda money.

I’m selling my 2018 Nissan Rogue and looking for something different. Either a Subaru Forester or a pickup. I really only need a pickup for deer hunting and to haul furniture/appliances/etc when we buy them. It’s not used for work or anything heavy duty. Must have room for a car seat, so 4 doors probably required. Must fit in my garage, so compact or mid size.

Considering a Ranger, Tacoma, Ridgeline, GMC Canyon or Maverick.

Who owns a Ranger or Canyon? How ya like it? Any issues?

Anyone test drive a Maverick yet?

Any other suggestions? I want this to be the last car I buy for ten years and I don’t want to replace a transmission.

I always research vehicles on www.CarComplaints.com

It’ll tell you the commonly reported issues with a particular model, fixes, and which ones to stay away from. Whatever you’re looking for, I suggest looking there first. It’s saved me a lot of time and $$ over the years. Hope that helps.

AT shift mapping has been changed on 21 and up. I have 700 miles on my 22 and it moves. Drove it down from KY to GA, after I bought it, had no problems passing anyone I needed to pass on the road.
I was into the the orange virus tuning stuff for a while on them. Have you messed with that? Pretty decent power gains!

3.jpg

I was into the the orange virus tuning stuff for a while on them. Have you messed with that? Pretty decent power gains!
I have not. I do not mod drivetrain till I am past warranty.
Toyota now makes a 2" lift that keeps warranty intact. That's my next purchase, after my gun stuff sells.

I’ve been looking for a low mileage vehicle for my wife, suv/crossover for months. I had her drive a 2019 loaded Chevy Tahoe, Nissan rogue loaded, Toyota Highlander loaded, Ford explorer ST, Lexus GX 460, Lexis MDX, and a Toyota sequoia. All vehicles were 2019 or newer with less than 30,000 miles. Out of all of those she chose the 2021 explorer st with all options. I really like the quality and reliability of Toyota/lexus, but it’s her vehicle so I only get to pay for it. It has tons of room for family and cargo, rides nice and does scoot pretty good. All the electronic stuff on these new vehicles definitely warrant the 100k mile warranty. Good luck, I’m just happy to be done looking!!!!! Everything is high and in short supply so be patient and find the best deal.

Attachments

• CFF1A94C-8BD4-411C-A7CE-528B25254465.jpeg
    CFF1A94C-8BD4-411C-A7CE-528B25254465.jpeg
    139.9 KB · Views: 8
I once had a full size pickup (2 wd) as a beater / furniture hauler / spare car that would only get used a dozen times a year,
and a regular sedan as a daily driver. That worked pretty well for fitting my lifestyle, but it was expensive having two vehicles to buy and pay for (well, only one was financed... but both had to have insurance, tags, and service at the shop).

Later I switched to a King Cab 4WD pickup as my sole motor vehicle. That was also a good fit for my lifestyle. But the truck wasn't as comfortable and quiet on the highway to drive as the car was. It sucked gas. I felt that it was "wasteful" to use a 4 wheel drive truck with off-road capability to drive to work 95% of the time, and only used the bed a dozen times a year at most. And the inside of the cab wasn't as big as wanted for stuff that needed to stay dry and safe.

So then several years later I went with an SUV, a 2WD version, as my do-everything vehicle. I no longer had an off-road hunting or camping vehicle that could handle logging roads and power line service trails, but I got a quieter ride, a little better gas mileage, and plenty of room in the cab-- dry and secure.

BUT I MISSED THE HAULING CAPABILITIES OF THE PICKUPS that I used to own. Landscaping materials, trash, firewood, etc. All that needs to go in a truck bed* and the fact that my SUV had a luggage rack on the roof wasn't helpful.

* But, that kind of stuff could go on a trailer, and small trailers aren't expensive, and don't need their own insurance....

SO, I'm thinking about having a small all-wheel-drive SUV as my do-everything vehicle, daily driver and weekend play vehicle, but with a small trailer parked in my yard for those several times per year when I want to haul something dirty or bulky.
P.S. The lower height of the deck on a landscaping type open trailer would make it easier to load heavy stuff, too, compared to the waist-high tailgate of a 4WD pickup.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom