done

Status
Not open for further replies.

RugerRob

Default rank <2500 posts
ODT Junkie!
92   0
Reaction score
So friend of mine at work has a Shield 9 and Remington 870 shot gun and bragged frequently about the AK he use to have. Friday he asked about going to the range this weekend, and I said sure, lets go! He asked me about ammo and I told him what calibers I would be bringing and how many rounds, and suggested he stop and grab some ammo or buy some from me for whatever he shot... I've know him a long time and figured he was stand up and would cover his share and I don't mind friends shooting my guns and my ammo as long as they help out at least some...

So he shows up at the house, I have all 3 rifles, 3 hand guns all packed in their soft cases with the mags pre-loaded in each case and my range bag all ready to go. He shows up with his Shield 9 in the original cardboard box no loaded mags, no case for it and has a full length 28" Remington 870 shotgun that is completely ragged out, wood horrible on it, scratched to death, finish worn to the metal and the safety looked like it was hack sawed off and they slipped a few times and chewed up the receiver... No rifle bag. 1 50 round box of 9mm ammo and 1 box of buck shot... I let him know it's not cool to walk into the range without the gun being in the bag and suggest we just take my Mossy JM Pro instead (didn't have a bag long enough for him to borrow)

Get to the range and get setup on the lane, decide to have some fun him with shield, me with the xds for the single stack subcompact shoot out, 7 yards most shots in the 8" circle wins... I shot first placed all shots in the circle with no issues good decent grouping for the distance and short barrel. I watch him and his pistol keeps having FTE's and jamming due to his wrists floppying in the wind and a horrible hold on the pistol. 1 shot in the 8" circle all other shots randomly all over the paper... Says he hasn't shot in awhile, I give him a few tips on holding the gun thinking maybe he's just rusty.

2nd round more FTE's front sight bobbling in the wind like crazy from king kong death grip on the pistol... We switch guns, I shoot the shield and no FTF's or issues and group about the same as I did with my XDs, explained he should check out some good shooting video's on sight picture, holding the gun, stance and body placement and then spend some time at the range alone practicing or take a pistol class to brush up.

We shoot my G21, P226, next and with full size he was able to place 3-4 shots in the 8" Circle out of each mag which was a slight improvement. Taking turns with my pre-loaded mags and reloading them a few times we shot a good bit of ammo. We then shoot two 30 round mags each out of my MPX 9, then 3 mags each on the AR15 and then around 100 rounds each through the AK...

Checkout time I had a free range pass and just paid the 8 bucks for the targets I had gotten and for the 2nd person on the lane, no big deal. And in return I got a thanks but no offer to pay for all my ammo he shot up... added it up a bit flustered when I got home and I basically just gave him around 100 bucks in ammo and free range time to miss a bunch of targets and then spent half my day cleaning all the guns...

Not a big deal $100 bucks ain't gonna break me that's for sure, but the last time I took a friend on his birthday and got taken for a lot more and he assumed it was free because of his birthday, and then bragged about how much I had spent on him without even a thank you and when my birthday rolled around I got crickets and not even a card... (no longer a friend)

Needless to say lesson learned... I like to share and all but dang I don't like to be flat out used and abused...

Do have a good friend here on ODT retired Army, I go with and him and I are squared away... Usually I shoot a little better than he does but last time out he kinda kicked my @#$! ;)

Reminds me of taking out a friend boating all day at the lake . brings 3 beers for himself , no offer to share or bring food as well as no offer to donate to the gas tank...Any more invites to anything and I set the price and rules upfront

Reminds me of taking out a friend boating all day at the lake . brings 3 beers for himself , no offer to share or bring food as well as no offer to donate to the gas tank...Any more invites to anything and I set the price and rules upfront

Every boat owner encounters that! I had a 40 ft cruiser with twin 140 gallon gas tanks..... we take some non boating neighbors out... and they insist to pay for gas. I pull up to the marina and start filling both port and starboard tanks, each had about 1/4 tank, gas was $5.15 a gallon ( 5-6 years ago).

I stopped at about $450 bucks... He gulped and broke out in a sweat....!
I told him it was my treat... we had a great evening cruise!
They did bring some great craft beers and wine for the wife.
But what a priceless look on his face!

Yep, I did 7 years on Lanier and had that happen a few times as well... The difference with me I know the costs and when I went fishing with my buddy Tom I split the gas, bait, food, everything 50/50 and insisted on it up front... sometimes he would let me slide or it wouldn't be quite even but the offer was ALWAYS on the table up front and that's how friends/men are supposed to do things. Never assume it's free and even if that is stated up front at least OFFER to help out...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom