• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Double barrel rescue from flood

a__l__a__n

Default rank <400 posts
Survivalist
33   0
Reaction score
My brother inherited a LC Smith 12 gauge double barrel shotgun made in 1912. Unfortunately the gun was involved in a flood during Hurricane Florence and remained under water for about a week. The gun ended up in the sheriff's custody until it was recently released. He didn't want the gun any more and so he gave it to me.

It took just a few minutes with some Breakfree CLP to get the gun apart as pictured below, and to wipe it down with the oil to eliminate the worst of the rust.

What would you do with this gun if it was yours?

1912 LC Smith .jpg

1912 LC Smith breech .jpg

1912 LC Smith broken down.jpg

My wife inherited a lc Smith 12 gauge sits in the safe so if I had this one is soak it in some kind of oil break it free and try getting it working

Attachments

• 20200926_185716.jpg
    20200926_185716.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 29
Frontier pads work wonders for removing rust without hurting the blueing. It could be a nice project for you. Get a good smith to check it over and you could get it back to useable if deemed safe. It also is a nice wall hanger. The cost to fully restore would far outweigh the value of the gun unless you do the work yourself. Neat gun!

Fix it if you can yourself if your skills are good enough. If not see what it would cost to restore it if it's worth it. If not, a great wall hanger...

Thanks for the responses. I think I'll start with a Big45 Frontier pad and some CLP and see how far I can go. I've never disassembled a shotgun before so this will be a good learning experience.

I found this video which may be helpful with the disassembly process. But maybe I can get away with not doing the cold blue step. TBD

Back
Top Bottom