• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Double slam fire in 1911

This is a risk with ALL self-loaders-- rifles, pistols, shotguns. When trying out a new one, a wise man shoots one, then loads NO MORE than two in the magazine, and runs them a few times before loading up a full magazine.

YES. Any time a semi-auto of any type is worked on, this is what needs to be done. Especially true of new "builds" onb ARs and such.

OP mentioned it would not slamfire if the grip safety was not depressed, this meams the trigger is tripping the sear, as the grip safety physically blocks tghe trigger bow from sear contact.

Weak sear spring, possibly with a weak hammer spring, can do this. Also, some folks shorten the hammer hook in order to reduce creep on pulling the trigger (1911s have little creep to start with). Holding the trigger back while dropping the slide is done to keep these from slam firing (a very dangerous condition, to say the least) and relying on the disconnecter to prevent hammer drop.

Another "mod" to lighten the trigger is to alter the hammer hook angle. It can cause the sear to jump out of the hook when the slide slams shut, dropping the hammer.

Can also be just plain worn out hammer/sear parts, or a wad of old grease or cosmoline.

The neat thing about a 100+ year old design is all the pattern failures are known, as well as how to fix them.

Holding the trigger back while dropping the slide is done to keep these from slam firing (a very dangerous condition, to say the least) and relying on the disconnecter to prevent hammer drop.
Yep, just checked, that works, but I ain't living life like that! :shocked:

Put a note in the case or the box in case you get hit by a bus, so it doesn't take someone else out before you get it fixed! :becky:
Always count on you to look at the bright side of things. ;)
If any grave robbers come around, they deserve what they get! :cool:

The reason for the aluminum and lightened triggers (holes drilled to reduce weight )on 1911s is to allow lighter trigger pulls without having the hammer drop on slide closing. With a steel trigger, it can bump fire on slide closing when trigger pull is significantly altered on a target pistol. The alum trigger allows a touch more modification before the gun will bump fire.

The reason for the aluminum and lightened triggers (holes drilled to reduce weight )on 1911s is to allow lighter trigger pulls without having the hammer drop on slide closing. With a steel trigger, it can bump fire on slide closing when trigger pull is significantly altered on a target pistol. The alum trigger allows a touch more modification before the gun will bump fire.

Hey! I learned something new. Thanks for that.

I agree, but whom?....
John harrison of Harrison Customs and Chris James of Combat Precision are probably some of the best 1911 guys in the atlanta area. If its a valuable enough 1911, it may be worthwhile to have them repair it. Im not sure if they are taking reapair work, as they mostly focus on building custom 1911s, but it would be worth checking with them.

Also, David the gunsmith at Adventure Outdoors. I had him do some work for me a few years ago and he did a good job. He would probably be less expensive.

Back
Top Bottom