• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Double slam fire in 1911

John harrison of Harrison Customs and Chris James of Combat Precision are probably some of the best 1911 guys in the atlanta area. If its a valuable enough 1911, it may be worthwhile to have them repair it. Im not sure if they are taking reapair work, as they mostly focus on building custom 1911s, but it would be worth checking with them.

Also, David the gunsmith at Adventure Outdoors. I had him do some work for me a few years ago and he did a good job. He would probably be less expensive.

I can second John Harrison, but I too am not sure that he is taking on additional work. Last I talked to him, he had years worth of 1911 building already in the queue. Though he was doing "little" jobs-- repairs and such, as well. His work is excellent; you would not be unhappy with the work, though the time and money, maybe. I've used him three or four times for trigger jobs and minor modifications. Not cheap, but the guns run perfectly when you get them back from him.

But you might want to find someone closer and quicker. Mr. Harrison's in Kennesaw, and not near the interstate. Super nice and interesting guy though.

There's bound to be someone on the Gwinnett side that's a good 1911 guy. You might check Georgia Gun Club; I know they have a shop there, but I have no idea about quality or turnaround.

Just hung up with Remington. They were ZERO help once they realized it wasn't a warranty issue. I really don't want to ship this thing out.... it's far more valuable to me than it's market worth.

If it's a ww2 Remington rand, I believe it's a different company all together with no shared history. Anyway try to find a gunsmith that has experience dealing with early 1911's someone that won't put Wilson combat parts in it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Another "mod" to lighten the trigger is to alter the hammer hook angle. It can cause the sear to jump out of the hook when the slide slams shut, dropping the hammer.
This makes a lot of sense now that I have seen the video of the gun, It looks like its one of the victims of target/competition conversion in the 50's and 60's

OP: you can likely find original trigger parts or reproduction to fix it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This makes a lot of sense now that I have seen the video of the gun, It looks like its one of the victims of target/competition conversion in the 50's and 60's

OP: you can likely find original trigger parts or reproduction to fix it.
I'm fairly certain it has no modifications other than the sites. It was purchased directly from the NRA in 1962 and my father was the only to own it since then. But no, I can't swear nothing else was done as he's unfortunately not around to confirm.

I'm starting to think sear spring?..... :noidea:

Should put all new springs in a gun that old if not done in last 10 years or so. They are cheap and available from midway, brownell's, etc.

I may have a new one on hand, will have to check.

Do you know how to detail strip it?

Back
Top Bottom