• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Double slam fire in 1911

Since it only happens with the grip safety engaged, wouldn't it more likely be the 'grip safety leg' that is the issue? :noidea:

The grip safety leg just controls how much pressure it takes to depress the grip safety, it has nothing to do with the sear or disconnector. When the grip safety is unpressed, it physically blocks the back end of the trigger bow.

A combination of sear spring pressure and hammer spring pressure (the one in the base of the grip) is what holds the sear in contact with the hammer hook.

i2.kym_cdn.com_photos_images_masonry_000_563_665_6bf.jpg
IMG_7458.JPG

Owning a 1911

From what you describe, it sounds like the trigger is hitting the sear hard enough to knock it off the hammer hook, the grip safety will stop this.

Without actually seeing the gun, this is what it sounds like is happening. 1911s all have some contact between the trigger and sear on slide return, it is important that the fire control parts are set so this does not cause the hammer to fall from this .

Since it only happens with the grip safety engaged, wouldn't it more likely be the 'grip safety leg' that is the issue? :noidea:
No. The grip safety leg only controls how much pressure it takes to depress the grip safety. It's independent of anything else.

What it sounds like to me is that your sear spring has gotten "loose" over the years and when the slide travels aft, the the sear is letting go of the hammer due to what is normal movement in the FCG of a 1911 when the pistol is returning to battery. Pull the mainspring housing out, and bend the sear spring in towards the muzzle and see if that doesn't fix it.

Also, I want to shoot it. :evil:

No. The grip safety leg only controls how much pressure it takes to depress the grip safety. It's independent of anything else.

What it sounds like to me is that your sear spring has gotten "loose" over the years and when the slide travels aft, the the sear is letting go of the hammer due to what is normal movement in the FCG of a 1911 when the pistol is returning to battery. Pull the mainspring housing out, and bend the sear spring in towards the muzzle and see if that doesn't fix it.

Also, I want to shoot it. :evil:
Watching videos I'm not sure I won't screw it up. Lots of biddy parts...
You can shoot it today if you want.
I'm just standing behind you to the right when you drop the slide...

Watching videos I'm not sure I won't screw it up. Lots of biddy parts...
You can shoot it today if you want.
I'm just standing behind you to the right when you drop the slide...

Take pictures as you take it apart.
That's always a good plan and you'll find you're less nervous, lol.
(Don't ask me how I know.) :becky:

Take pictures as you take it apart.
That's always a good plan and you'll find you're less nervous, lol.
(Don't ask me how I know.) :becky:
Yep. I promise you I could take it APART with no problems.... it's the second half of that equation that is surely going to be the issue. ;)

When you reassemble it the first time, after you recover the hammer spring plunger that went shooting out when you pushed the pin out, you will not get the sear pin through the sear. Then you will get it right the second time.

And you hold the sear spring partially in place with the mainspring housing, then push it up when ready to pin it in place, after the hammer and grip safety are installed.

It really is easy if you watch someone do it first, not sure I would catch all the little gotchas on a video.

Back
Top Bottom