• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Double slam fire in 1911

I changed out the mainspring housing a few times...The first time, everything fell apart, including the sear spring. That thing is a bitch for someone who hasn't put one back together before. From memory (it's been a couple of years since I did this): It's hard to get all the legs and hooks lined back up. And it's hard as hell to see up in there also. I don't really recommend taking it apart if you've never done it before or if you don't have someone around who can reassemble it for you. That being said, I EVENTUALLY got it back together. I do remember one time FINALLY getting the MSH to slide up...then it got stuck. I thought I wasn't going to be able to slide it back down. That freaked me out a good bit.

For someone who's done it several times before, it's not that bad. I know people who can do it in their sleep. I'm mechanically inclined and I had a difficult time with it, so I'm obviously not one of those people, HA! As always, YMMV!

Watching videos I'm not sure I won't screw it up. Lots of biddy parts...
Eh...it's not like you can actually break any of those biddy parts. I've been building, shooting, and disassembling 1911's for thirty years. Yeah, it's a little intimidating if you've never done it but, it can be done. biker_bill's point is well made. Take pictures after each step, installation is reverse of removal. Besides, it's not going to get fixed put together like it is.;)

You can shoot it today if you want.
I'm just standing behind you to the right when you drop the slide...
Brrrrrrrrrpt. :evil:

I changed out the mainspring housing a few times...The first time, everything fell apart, including the sear spring. That thing is a ***** for someone who hasn't put one back together before. From memory (it's been a couple of years since I did this): It's hard to get all the legs and hooks lined back up. And it's hard as hell to see up in there also. I don't really recommend taking it apart if you've never done it before or if you don't have someone around who can reassemble it for you. That being said, I EVENTUALLY got it back together. I do remember one time FINALLY getting the MSH to slide up...then it got stuck. I thought I wasn't going to be able to slide it back down. That freaked me out a good bit.

For someone who's done it several times before, it's not that bad. I know people who can do it in their sleep. I'm mechanically inclined and I had a difficult time with it, so I'm obviously not one of those people, HA! As always, YMMV!

Stop scaring him! :becky:
He has potential!

The only thing I ever owned that was plastic was a pacifier some well intentioned feelzie gave me when I was a newborn. I spit it out and found a railroad spike.
replycandy.com_wp_content_uploads_Freddie_Mercury_So_Much_Win.jpg

Back
Top Bottom