• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Double slam fire in 1911

The only thing I ever owned that was plastic was a pacifier some well intentioned feelzie gave me when I was a newborn. I spit it out and found a railroad spike.

And a matching romper.

It’s a 100-year old design. It needs tools to disassemble. It has unreliable magazines. It is finicky about ammo. And, as a single-action pistol, it is unsafe for 95% of its users to carry, and it takes a ton of cash, parts, and gunsmithing to make a 1911 as reliable as a glock.

But lets just ignore the facts boys.
J jeep78
GeauxLSU GeauxLSU

:cool::fish2::hungry:

It’s a 100-year old design. It needs tools to disassemble. It has unreliable magazines. It is finicky about ammo. And, as a single-action pistol, it is unsafe for 95% of its users to carry. But lets just ignore the facts boys.
No one will know how to spell Glock in 100 years. Most quality machines do require tools. Most toys do not. Unrealiable mags? Finicky about ammo? I don't carry it. It's not possible. Since I carry AIWB ... there's just not enough room for TWO packages of pure American awesomeness. I could carry a half dozen Glocks pretty easily I'm sure.

53220322.jpg

I...And, as a single-action pistol, it is unsafe for 95% of its users to carry. But lets just ignore the facts boys.

A single action pistol is unsafe for 95% of users?!?!? Huh? 'Splain please?

Complete disassembly of a 1911 isn't hard. Watch a YouTube video, and if you're scared of losing pins, do some of the takedown with the weapon and your hands in a cardboard box.

I've only had one 1911 that had "hammer follow". Google that and see what it says, but it may be pure wear, and it may be helped by adjusting the sear spring. If you're willing: Bring it to a swap meet and someone can help the dis- and reassembly.

Lastly, there are those that say you shouldn't routinely drop the slide on an unloaded 1911. Snap caps or dummy reloads help. The theory is that the chambering of a round slows the slide / adds a bit of resistance to prevent the slide and frame from crashing too hard.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It’s a 100-year old design. It needs tools to disassemble. It has unreliable magazines. It is finicky about ammo. And, as a single-action pistol, it is unsafe for 95% of its users to carry. But lets just ignore the facts boys.

Ha!
Fat lot you know. No tools at all needed to totally strip a 1911. Everything you need is in the gun, even a screw driver to remove the grips.

Had you gone through Basic before the Italian changeover, you would know that.

Lastly, there are those that say you shouldn't routinely drop the slide on an unloaded 1911. Snap caps or dummy reloads help. The theory is that the chambering of a round slows the slide / adds a bit of resistance to prevent the slide and frame from crashing too hard.
Too hard for what? :confused:
I wouldn't say I 'routinely' do it but still curious. I mean, it's not plastic. :cool:

Ha!
Fat lot you know. No tools at all needed to totally strip a 1911. Everything you need is in the gun, even a screw driver to remove the grips.

Had you gone through Basic before the Italian changeover, you would know that.
And the spirit of John Moses and all the church says.... :amen: !

Back
Top Bottom